HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

grid charging time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default grid charging time?

Hello, i have a civic hybrid 2008, i haved grid charged for about 18 hours, starting voltage was 177, i stopped at about 190 volts. After that i left home for a trip and iti worked excelent, assit, regen, autostop, 8 bars, 7 bars until 4 bars. I was delighted. In the morning i started the car and the simptoms before grid charghing came back ( 8 bars strainght to 2 bars regen and back to 8 after a short acceleration). My guess i think i don't let the car charge enough time?
( a year ago i recondioned the battery stick by stick and iti worked for about 6 month, two of the sticks were a little problematic but they worked)

Any advice?

Old 06-03-2018, 08:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: grid charging time?

5.5Ah * 1.6 / C = charge time

C = grid charger current in Amps.

Your guess is wrong. You've likely already discovered the issue - "two of the sticks were a little problematic but they worked"

These thing fail by excessive self-discharge. They just stop holding a charge, and there's nothing that can be done to fix it. That's where you are. You limped along for a year with partial functionality, and now the best you're going to get is a day of decent performance after a grid charge. After the first overnight sit, the bad cells have bled off almost all their charge, and you're back to recalibration time.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast

i will try to charge for 29 hours ( 5.5Ah * 1.6 / 0.3 Ah = 29.3 H) and test the result, if it is the same i will try to change the problematic stick and see the result

Thanks

Old 07-12-2018, 10:53 PM
Enthusiast

Update,

After a few weeks after trying with the charger my battery still holding charge for only a day, I built myself a discharger following this intructions ( https://hybridautomotive.com/pages/sd ).
I charged the battery 12 hours, after i let it drain for about 6 hours to 110 volts and then charged back 12 hours to about 186 volt.
I`m happy to say after 3 weeks my car and battery works great, no recall, no CEl or IMA lights, assist far longer.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast

This was a few months ago, how long did that last before you needed to grid charge again? Or have you done it since just as preventative maintenance?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:37 PM
Enthusiast

hello, i just did preventive maintenace, i didn`t see any change, it`s working fine ,like after the first cycle of charge discharge