Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

positive reinforcement for old rule of thumb

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default positive reinforcement for old rule of thumb

I usually do about 65 on this particular stretch of road between work and home. With temps around 40 and the fact that I just filled up (mpg indicator very active), I was seeing 25-26 mpg on my dash. So since there was no one else out on the road, I decided to slow it down to 45 mph for the trip home.

Up ahead, I see something twinking. My lights just aren't on it yet, but I can make something out. When my lights finally light it up, it took me a moment to realize it was a freakin' coyote! Standing in the middle of my lane looking as if it was eating some form of roadkill.

I immediately hit my brakes, stuff on my backseat come crashing down onto the floorboards... And then the coyote just casually strolls off.

Wow, if I had been going my usual 65, I probably would have hit that sucker!

+1 people that preach not over driving your headlights
0 hitting live animals causing expensive bodywork

Old 12-15-2005, 01:05 AM
Default Re: positive reinforcement for old rule of thumb

Hi Bar10dah:

___Not only did you save your AH’s fascia from a very expensive plastic surgery, you dropped her down to 45 mph to pick up some vitally needed FE when you needed it most. I knew that your competitive nature to beat the game gauge into submission would at some point in time overcome your need for speed Now let’s see how long it will last

___Excellent job on both missing the Coyote and bringing her FE back with a slight change in pedal angle!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 12-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

i had the same thing happen to me with a deer while I was going 40 mph at night. suddenly leaped out of the bushes on the side of the road and scared me to death. luckily i saw it immediately and braked.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Banned

Strange, the Road Runner usually beats Wiley E Coyote.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:56 AM

I've almost hit those guys too! Mostly on my motorcycle. I don't know why roadrunners will sit on the side of the road, wait until you're close, then bolt across the road right in front of you! I think they're just showing off for their friends...

Old 12-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

A few years ago, a young British couple was interested in adopting a cat at a rescue in Dallas. I had to gently break a cultural difference that all the local rescues require the cat is always indoors - rare in Britain and often considered cruelity over there. I pointed out that one of the reasons for indoors-only was we Americans drive worse...

Old 12-15-2005, 10:25 AM

My hilly, semi-developed neighborhood has 15 -20 mph speed limits that I am very careful to obey. The other day a deer jumped across the road, but was not in much danger because I saw her in time. Then when I turned to my daughter to talk, *another* deer bolted across the street, and I came much closer to hitting her.

Moral: Deer often walk together, and they try hard to *stay* together.

b10d's post reminds me of a hilarious commercial from Geico that shows rodents running out into the street and cars careening wildly to avoid them -- all a whiskered version of the game "chicken".

Old 12-15-2005, 10:29 AM

When I used to live in VA, I used to go up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive for some "spirited" riding. Once, I came careening around a corner at high speed, and suddenly realized there was a cow just standing in the middle of the road! Talk about pucker factor...

I narrowly missed it. After realizing I survived that even without any bike damage, I turned around and snapped a shot of the cow. When I get to my other computer, I'll have to post that pic.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:50 AM

Okay, here it is.

Only a few miles up the road was a sign that said "caution, livestock in roadway." I thought it was just a warning that the possiblility existed. Not an actual real-time warning!

Old 12-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Green Missionary

Originally Posted by bar10dah
I usually do about 65 on this particular stretch of road between work and home. With temps around 40 and the fact that I just filled up (mpg indicator very active), I was seeing 25-26 mpg on my dash. So since there was no one else out on the road, I decided to slow it down to 45 mph for the trip home.

Up ahead, I see something twinking. My lights just aren't on it yet, but I can make something out. When my lights finally light it up, it took me a moment to realize it was a freakin' coyote! Standing in the middle of my lane looking as if it was eating some form of roadkill.

I immediately hit my brakes, stuff on my backseat come crashing down onto the floorboards... And then the coyote just casually strolls off.

Wow, if I had been going my usual 65, I probably would have hit that sucker!
bar10dah:

I am a Red Wing fan. Taking out a Coyote would have been worth loss of FE and some damage!

(This comment likely won't mean much to those who don't appreciate hockey!)

Quick Reply: positive reinforcement for old rule of thumb

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands