Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.
View Poll Results: Citing someone by name in a subject line:
Puts them in an uncomfortable, public position
50.00%
Courteous private messages and e-mail are too hard
25.00%
Leads to answers that cause headaches
12.50%
Scares off quite posters who hate attention
37.50%
Personifies technology who hates it
12.50%
May not recognize the brilliant inventors
12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Invoking someone by name

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:41 AM
Engineering first
Talking Invoking someone by name

Recently, a thread started out invoking a name simular to mine. Ordinarily, I prefer communications like this be done via message or e-mail. IMHO, subject lines should be some 'topic' and not 'call someone out.' But I realize it is all in good fun. Still, it sounds like a poll question.

Opps, that should have read "quiet posters."

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 06-30-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Vegetarian
Default Re: Invoking someone by name

Whenever I see someone mentioned in a subject line it shows that the person is well known/recognized/they post often and they usually know what they are talking about/is someone others may direct people to when they don't have the answers.
I have never been mentioned in a subeject line, but if I was I think I'd be flattered.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I should think the named one would be complemented that he was respected enough to be believed to have the answer to the question.

If someone had a complaint about a "too much attention" issue, would it be better to use the PM system or post a public poll on the issue? There is no harm in the poll, it just seems a little ironic.

Since we now know that people can be shy you will find your name erased from the original thread that (I believe) this thread is about. You have my apology for making you uncomfortable.

I can kill this post, or this thread entirely if you like, or it can stand, your choice. It isn't causing the site or me any problems but if you would rather not draw more attention to yourself I'd be happy to erase anything that bothers you (within the limits of this thread only of course).

Last edited by lakedude; 06-30-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

If too much damage has already been done we can change your user name and put you up in a witness protection program so no one will know your true identity.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:11 PM

Invoking someones name in a post is not a bad thing. The reason for it is a) you know who might know the answer and that person will be pretty much gauranteed to read the post, and b) you feel the information may be valueable to others so rather than PMing and have the information limited to yourself you decide to have a thread where others can read the answer to your question.

Overall I think it's not that bad.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:22 AM
04 prius 350,000km

enjoy the celeberty type moment while it lasts, I mean its there for a reason.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Java Geek

I hear if you say it three times, spin in retrograde motion and spit over your right shoulder they will feel a pinch too.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think it's pretty benign.

The only time I would opt for posting a subject with someones 'name' in it would be if I thought the answer would help others, in which case a private message or email wouldn't accomplish that goal.

Difficult to imagine that someone who uses a 'handle' on pretty inocuous forums like these could get upset about you asking a specific question.

Now, if the post was to contain any negative remarks or criticism, then I think an email/pm is the best option.