Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Insurance

There sure is a big difference regarding auto insurance.

In the mid 90's someone hit our car and it was his fault.
I had 4 witnesses statements including an off duty police officer.

The other driver had insurance with Safe Auto, a company that advertises "We keep you legal".
His insurance didn't accept any evidence or investigation, other than the other driver saying "I didn't do it" and refused anything.

So I ended up taking the driver to small claims court, which I won.
Forced to pay off, 3 weeks later I recieved the check from Safe Auto.

A few years later I was 1/2 to blame for our 1st Grand Caravans accident, it was T-boned by a pickup exceeding 60MPH (Residential sidestreet)
We had State Farm Insurance.

It took 4 days for the insurance adjuster to look at the van, and provided towing to the shop 3 days later.
The shop gave their estimate and State Farm adjuster took another 4 days to review it.
It was ultimately totaled and took them another 9 weeks to pay off.

Last Spring we were shopping for insurance rates and switched to Geico and saved over $200.

Last night my wife hit a deer. The hood is folded and the front is all busted up.
Last night she made an online claim with Geico.
At 8:30 this morning we got a call from Geico saying the claim has been recieved and the adjuster will be visiting today.
4 Hours later the adjuster was there and made an estimate just shy of $4K, and the tow truck picked the van up to take it to the shop less than an hour later.

I never knew an insurance company would act so fast and provide such good service....and at a discount rate.

No, I don't work for any insurance company- just sharing an experience.
If the rest of the proccess goes as smoothly I'll let you know as well.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 10-21-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Default Re: Insurance

Humm. I have geico and was thinking of switching. I'm paying $220/mo for one car two drivers both over 30 no accidents or tickets in the last 7 years. I was thinking this is an awful lot, but if their service is that good I think I'll stick with them.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Got the van back today and it is beautiful, the Geico sponsored shop did an excellent job. Can post some before/after pics if anyone is interested.

I'd rate the service at A+ but I made a mistake on the savings figure of my first post.
Since we switched both autos from State Farm to Geico the savings is just under $1k / Yr for both. (Same coverage and $500 deductible)

We're very happy with that.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

-I have State Farm currently and because of the increase we had on the policy with two new cars, I'm going to start shopping around.

-Hope your wife was OK.