Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Hybrid cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hybrid cars

What are hybrid cars? What are its advantages over other cars?

Old 05-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid cars

Someone hasn't bothered to read GreenHybrid's LEARN section

Last edited by GeekGal; 05-18-2006 at 12:23 PM. Reason: removed unnecesssary snarkyness
Old 05-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Energy Independence!

from Wikipedia:
"A hybrid vehicle uses multiple propulsion systems to provide motive power. This most commonly refers to gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles, which use gasoline (petrol) or diesel to power internal-combustion engines (ICEs), and electric batteries to power electric motors."

Its advantages are that for a given vehicle weight, you may get improved fuel efficiency with the same power, or greater power with the same fuel efficiency, or a little of both. Lower emissions are also a benefit.

There are other benefits, like the "coolness factor" of the vehicle, or a generally smoother ride than a comparable vehicle.

This is not an all-encompassing list, I'm pretty sure forum members will come with at least a dozen additional benefits.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

sorry i'm a newbie so that's why i didn't get to notice that article.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks fernando for the little information.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:25 PM

Here's the main Wikipedia HYBRID entry. Read, learn, enjoy!

Old 05-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

The first section of the FEH FAQ https://www.greenhybrid.com/learn/ar...ybrid-faq.html, questions 11 and 12 address it as well. 12 even has cool links to visual demonstrations on how they work.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I think we should alway have some basic hybrid info at he top of the learn section. Right now we have "featured articles".

Old 05-23-2006, 10:40 AM

When someone asks me how my Civic Hybrid car works, I bring to mind the old 1970's Pinto and Vega.

These cars were designed as gas misers. Other than being a much smaller vehicle than others on the road, their better economy was also due to a much smaller engine but made them rather under powered.
Fuel economy often suffered because many/most drivers found it necessary to practically floor it from a stop.
They consumed a relatively large amount of fuel while accelerating or pulling a load (uphill).

My friend had a '71 Vega Automatic transmission that had a "psychological downshift." (You'd floor it and it would downshift making a loud -RRRRR- sound like you're really taking off....but the Speedo remained the same)

How much better performance and economy they would have had if it had an electric motor to help while in those situations.

That is the basis of the Honda Civic hybrid system. A small, underpowered, low emission gasoline engine assisted at times by an electric motor.

There are other differences in hybrid/non-hybrid cars such as the engine turning off while stopped and generating electricity while braking or coasting.
Hybrid cars generally get better MPG than its comparable regular car, but the MPG potential if driven differently is much, much higher.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:06 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default RECAPTURING BRAKE ENERGY!!

csmlola, the hybrid literally means two different power plants-one gasoline,one electric. Locomotives are Hybrids-diesels drive a generator which drives an electric motor-same story on diesels subs-diesels drive on the surface,and charge batteries-the batteries drive an electric motor.
The main reason to have a hybrid car is so you can recapture lost braking energy as electrical power.Store it in batteries,and then use it to drive an electric motor that will supplement a gasoline (or diesel) motor.
THE RECAPTURED BRAKE ENERGY IS THE WHOLE PURPOSE BEHIND MAKING THE CURRENT HYBRID CARS.It is most easily recaptured by making it spin a generator.Store that power in a battery then use it in an electric motor.
Sounds complicated, expensive,and heavy-it is!!A Prius probably costs at least $5000 more to build than a Prius like non hybrid. A Highlander Hybrid is about 350 lbs more than a non hybrid Highlander. It is amazing that Toyota can overcome the weight disadvantage, and still deliver a huge mpg improvement.Not all the MPG improvement is due to the Hybrid aspect. The low CD .26, and the atkinson cycle motor are probably worth 10% of the improvement.
Now, it doesn't just recapture braking energy when you hit the pedal- it steals a bit of energy everytime you lift off the gas-it ads a bit of braking-you really don't notice it-.Luck,Charlie
It can recapture/steal about 200 watts every 5 minutes.This is about 2400 wt-hrs/hr- enough to constantly drive a 3 hp motor.