Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Getting an Apple Powerbook

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Site Founder
Default Getting an Apple Powerbook

After Apple failed to release new computers at the developers conference yesterday, I've decided to go ahead and purchase one of their current notebooks. I'm excited! Of course, it's pretty pricey. I'm looking at at least $2500 including software and an extended warranty (even with the student discount). I'm likely going to the Apple store tomorrow to make sure this is what I want, but I think I'm going with a 15" Powerbook G4 w/ 1.67 Ghz and 1GB RAM.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting an Apple Powerbook

Oddly, the same thing i'm looking at Jason. I only wonder if it is the best choice for me, the Toshiba with 2.0 Ghz Pentium M, 1 GB Ram, and a higher res monitor...plus Memory Card slot looks really atractive...decitions decisions.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Site Founder

Honestly, I just can't stand Windows anymore. I've really just had it.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had an older Toshiba notebook for years. It was pretty heavy to carry around, but also built like a tank. Finally it failed and time to buy a new one.

I went to Best Buy looking for the best bang for the buck to support my 3D graphics work. I found a cheaper model, "Matrix" it was called, made for Best Buy. 2.4G, 30GHD, 500M RAM, etc. Paid about $1,100 for it.

Looking at my old Toshiba, the power socket in the back was securely moled as part of the case. Not the Matrix, who's socket is only secured by the solder joints on the mother board, and sure enough after 2 days I could hear arching as these solder joints broke loose.

So I took it back to the store and explained the trouble. They said "No problem, we'll just exchange it"

I explained that it was a built-in problem and I wanted to upgrade.

So I chose another tough (And heavy) new Toshiba that displayed $1,800.

Took it to the counter and offered to pay the difference but the clerk said that since it is a replacement there is no additional charge. I asked again and she was sure of it.

Then she handed me two rebate reciepts: $300 store rebate and $100 MFG rebate.

So I got my $1,800 notebook for about $700 + tax

Best Buy in my opinion has the worst bull-dog, lie-to-your-face, cheating thieving sleazy salesman that would sell out their own mother for a crappy expensive extended warranty, but at least I got a great deal there.

(No extended warranty included. In fact I burned out the mother board and a host of other components with my 3D work 10 months later.....all fixed by Toshiba for free under the MFG warranty)

Old 06-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

All I can say is wOOt!!11one!x86!

Wait.. x86? Wow. WTF, but whatever... having watched the keynote speech from today, I'm guessing Steve & Co. know what they're doing. Either that or Steve's an excellent Kool-Aid salesman.

Seriously, though... I own two PowerBooks, and I love the current, year-old 15" one. I also still love the old 15" Titanium one my brother's currently using to troll catfishing sites with across the porch over here

Old 06-07-2005, 05:07 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

For $2500, it seems to me, you are paying $1500 not to use Windows.

I purchased a Compaq laptop, wide screen, 80GB, 512K, DVD R/W for less than $1000. Granted, the $2500 you are spending may have some other software that I don't know about, but it seems you are paying a large premium for the machine.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by zadscmc
For $2500, it seems to me, you are paying $1500 not to use Windows.
A bargain at any price.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Site Founder

Yes, I am paying a large premium not to use Windows. But I also don't think there's any PC on the market that has the same aura that Apples do. They're ugly, large and awkward. Not to mention, for that $1000 you won't get a comparable notebook.

I'm trying to research right now how much I'll be paying to transfer software from Windows to OSX.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

For all of that "aura" I can make 4 payments on my HCH, or 2 payments on my FEH, or a mortgage payment, or a significant portion on my 2005 IRA contribution and still have a computer that will last three to five years.

That being said, I did buy a 1985 Merkur XR4Ti. I might even still be making payments on it.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Site Founder

Yeah, well that "aura" is costing more by the minute. I repriced and decided I'd likely go with the 17" with extra RAM and required software upgrades. I'm looking at about $4000 when all is said and done with taxes. I've never spent so much money in my life.

Quick Reply: Getting an Apple Powerbook

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands