Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Ever sell a car on eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Question Ever sell a car on eBay?

Anyone here ever do that? I'm considering trying to sell my Ford Escape (non-hybrid) on eBay, and wondered if anyone has any advice, pointers, etc. about it. I've purchased stuff there, but never sold anything.

Also, anyone have any ideas about how to sell a car privately these days? I have tried posting it on carsdirect.com and cars.com, and taking an ad in my local daily paper, but have gotten NO (legitimate) inquiries in 3 weeks (I got one scam offer from the carsdirect posting, someone who wanted to send me a "cashiers check" for $20,000 and have me refund the difference between that and the purchase price to them... duh! oldest trick in the book!). The asking price is below KBB (and $3,000 less than dealers are asking for a similar vehicle, with similar mileage, etc.), and the car's in great shape. What am I doing wrong? Or do people just not buy cars from individuals anymore?

Old 03-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ever sell a car on eBay?

I sold my '67 Mustang Fastback on Ebay last fall to a fellow in England. The best advice I could give is to include many photos, a detailed description and know exactly what is your minimum selling price. As for payment, the safest way is obviously cash, but a wire transfer as well.

Good Luck.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast

I bought and later sold the same car on Ebay. For reference, a 89 Subaru XT6. Not a common car. And the Miata I'm driving I bought via Ebay. When I go to sell it I may try it through Ebay. I'll probably try cars.com when I list my RX-8. The nice thing about Ebay is the wide audience. Don't take this wrong, but the more common the car, the less helpful I think Ebay is. But if you choose the auction mode, be sure to set either the opening bid or the reserve at a level where you'd be okay with getting that price. And disclose any problems and provide several good pictures. I'd go with a few good pics in the listing and offer to send serious bidders additional pics. If you're on cars.com I'd suggest just being patient.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by sweetbeet
I have tried posting it on carsdirect.com and cars.com, and taking an ad in my local daily paper, but have gotten NO (legitimate) inquiries in 3 weeks (I got one scam offer from the carsdirect posting, someone who wanted to send me a "cashiers check" for $20,000 and have me refund the difference between that and the purchase price to them... duh! oldest trick in the book!). The asking price is below KBB (and $3,000 less than dealers are asking for a similar vehicle, with similar mileage, etc.), and the car's in great shape. What am I doing wrong? Or do people just not buy cars from individuals anymore?
I have had my '04 Dodge Dakota pickup listed on several web pages as well as Auto Trader for 3 weeks and, like you, have had only Spam offers (like 12 of them !!). I also got a call from a site called "greatcarsandtrucks.com" offering to sell it for $100. They claim to have a money back guarantee if the vehicle does not sell in 90 days.

I have sold a lot of stuff on Ebay, but never a vehicle.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:30 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

I sold a truck once on eBay, but as RX8Daniel mentioned about his. Mine was a rare vehicle as well (Mazda REPU).

It depends upon what you're selling it and how you are pushing it. What makes yours so much better than the others that are the identical vehicle for sale? Low mileage? Extra spotless clean? (undercarriage etc.)

Good luck with whatever you choose. Right now is a good time to sell. Tax time.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We recently sold a 1951 Rolls Royce/Bently touring salon.. $29k

Lots of pictures, information & ask that they pay with a cashiers check and not PayPal.

Job wise:
I recently had a guy who reported he purchased a boat from e-bay, the pictures looked great when it arrived the transom was rotted out. And if the new owner were to put in the water it would have surely sank.. yes there is some fraud that takes place. just be careful

P.S. If some one wants to send you a check for more than your asking decline as it will be another scam...

Last edited by PriusGuy04; 03-08-2006 at 03:58 PM.