Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Can't Prove This: (Fitter Cars - Fitter People?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Banned
Default Can't Prove This: (Fitter Cars - Fitter People?)

I don't think there is a survey, but if there were, it would be no suprise if trim people drove trim cars - larger people drive big vehicles.

Obesity has been on the rise in recent years. Pardon the pun, but my gut feeling is many Americans purchase larger vehicles along with larger clothes as they get bigger. This is probably one of the less spoken reasons for SUV sales. Stadium seating in America has had to allow for larger seats, so it's reasonable to assume that's why Japanese car makers have had to sell larger vehicles in the US.

I don't know if losing 40 pounds over the past year has improved my mpg, but I feel better.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can't Prove This: (Fitter Cars - Fitter People?)

Intersting. Here in West Texas, I think terrain and culture have more to do with it. There's lots of trim moms here who drive REALLY big trucks and SUV's. Come to think of it, lots of my cheerleader daughters friends also drive big 4x4 trucks.

Doesn't mean your theory is wrong - just not consistent.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Banned

One thing that could be influencing my theory is Dallas is usually in the ten fattest cities in the US. More restaurants per capita than NYC.

I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions....

Old 05-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

You may be on to something. If I weighed 300 plus pounds I wouldn't wanna shoehorn myself into an Insight.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting. In 2000 I weighed 389 pounds. I purchased a new Suburban. I still weigh a hefty sum, around 240, and I just bought a HCH.

Saving gas and I feel better, too.

Clay

Old 05-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Banned
Thumbs up Re: Can't Prove This: (Fitter Cars - Fitter People?)

Originally Posted by clayk
Interesting. In 2000 I weighed 389 pounds. I purchased a new Suburban. I still weigh a hefty sum, around 240, and I just bought a HCH.

Saving gas and I feel better, too.

Clay
Congratulations!

I'm sure you are familiar with Gov Huckabee losing 110 pounds and running a marathon. He has a remarkable story as you do.

BTW, marathon runners use energy a lot like Honda hybrid cars.

Utlimately, all energy in a car is from the tank of gas, but some can be held in reserve in the batteries. It's never electric-only, but the IMA assists the gasoline engine.

The marathon runner's training conditions him to burn fat along with glyocgen the last six miles of the run when you "hit the wall". Glyocgen = gasoline - fat = batteries. Fat/batteries are not as efficient, but they are a reserve to tap when you need energy from all available sources.

Marathon runners also learn to maintain a good cruising speed....

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 05-25-2005 at 11:13 AM.