Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

When skeptics print -- look for opportunity

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Engineering first
Default When skeptics print -- look for opportunity

hthttp://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/automobiles/27EMF.html?_r=4&pagewanted=1&oref=slogin&oref=slog in

Neysa Linzer, 58, of Bulls Head in Staten Island, bought a new Honda Civic Hybrid in 2007 for the 200 miles a week she drove to visit grocery stores in her merchandising job for a supermarket chain. She said that the car reduced her gasoline use, but there were problems — her blood pressure rose and she fell asleep at the wheel three times, narrowly averting accidents.

“I never had a sleepiness problem before,” Ms. Linzer said, adding that it was her own conclusion, not a doctor’s, that the car was causing the symptoms.
Testing with a TriField meter led Brian Collins of Encinitas, Calif., to sell his 2001 Honda Insight just six months after he bought it — at a loss of $7,000. He said the driver was receiving “dangerously high” E.M.F. levels of up to 135 milligauss at the hip and up to 100 milligauss at the upper torso. ...
If someone wants to sell their hybrid because of these horrible EMI fields, please have them contact me. I might be interested if the price is right. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

Old 05-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: When skeptics print -- look for opportunity

Or maybe the car was "too quiet" on the INSIDE too, her brain was telling her it's sleepytime.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by thecoook
Or maybe the car was "too quiet" on the INSIDE too, her brain was telling her it's sleepytime.
LOL!!! My wife is a narcoleptic. Driving with her has been a 31 year trip. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

Old 05-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I guess she doesn't own a cell phone... or a computer... or a TV...

I wonder if I can sue GE for their microwave putting me to sleep...

Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Any hype over hybrid electromagnetic fields is bogus because the hybrid batteries are direct current, or DC. The dangerous EMFs come from alternatic current (AC) sources, like electric transmission lines.

The Earth emits a constant EMF, easily measurable on any detection device. But because it's DC, it hurts no one.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Engineering first
Cool Re: When skeptics print -- look for opportunity

SSSSHHHHHUUUUUSSSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Let's say you know someone who bought a really nice hybrid and then learned about these 'horrible' EMI fields. If you want their car, make sure they learn about all of the 'terrible' things about hybrids: (1) exploding batteries, (2) crushing blind people and their seeing eye dogs, (3) mileage isn't so good, (4) they don't last very long, and (5) too expensive to maintain. Best to not let them hear it from you directly but by other means. Then after a day or so, in casual conversation, mention how you'd sure like to get a hybrid like theirs but they are so expensive. You've got the money but not for a new one so you'll have to settle for a brand new Chevy Aveo (or other econo-box.)

I see no problem in using someone else's unreasoned fears and ignorance to strike a good deal. It isn't mean, it is the tuition in the school of hard knocks.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Prius geek

"I see no problem in using someone else's unreasoned fears and ignorance to strike a good deal. It isn't mean, it is the tuition in the school of hard knocks."

That is a great and truthful quote! LOL. And when the fear ads/articles come from the competition, that just points to desparation.