Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Vincentric's Best Value -> Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Engineering first
Talking Vincentric's Best Value -> Hybrids

BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Michigan – January 17, 2006 – Vincentric’s Best Value in America™ awards were announced today, with hybrid vehicles leading the way. The Toyota Prius, along with the hybrid versions of the Ford Escape, the Honda Civic, and the Toyota Highlander each won the Best Value in America™ award in their segment. Other hybrids receiving Excellent Value ratings are the Mercury Mariner hybrid, the Lexus RX400h, and the Honda Insight.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...17/207569.html

The April "Consumer Reports" (pp. 21) used Vincentric to analyze the depreciation of hybrid electrics versus gas cars: "Hybrids aren't expected to hold their value as well as their conventional gas-powered equivalents, according to our analysis of data from Vincentric, . . ." I started Googling Vincentric and found this curious report whose analysis is so positive about hybrids when compared to the CR report. They go on to report:

. . .
The strong value of hybrids was clear when both a hybrid and non-hybrid version of the same vehicle were compared to other vehicles in the same segments.

In those instances, the hybrid version had ownership costs that averaged 16.2% lower than a similarly priced competitor, while the non-hybrid version had ownership costs 7.9% lower.
. . .
We own two cars with the same 1500 cc engine, a 2001 Echo and a 2003 Prius. We had to decide in 2001 between an Echo and Prius and back then, the Echo made sense. In 2005, we had to get a second car and a used 2003 Prius made the most sense.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-04-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Vincentric's Best Value -> Hybrids

Well I went to the autochannel site listed above and used there ownership cost guide. It left me wondering why they chose the Highlander or the Escape.

Here how they compared in cost over 5 years.

Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD - $42,259
Ford Escape XLT 4WD - $39,593
Difference - $2,666 favor gas only
Difference minus tax benefit - $4,409 favor gas only

Highlander Limited Hybrid 4WD - $48,251
Highlander Limited 4WD - $43,364
Difference - $4,887 favor gas only
Difference minus tax benefit - $6,775 favor gas only

Honda Civic Hybrid - $29,572
Honda EX - $30,470
Difference - $898 favor hybrid
Difference minus tax benefit - $2,879 favor gas only

One possible explanation has to do with selection of price range. Both the Highlander and the Highlander Hybrid won there category Highlander Mid-Size SUV under $30,000 and Highlander Hybrid in over $30,000 if they were in the same category the gas Highlander would have won.

The same with the Escape, Hybrid fell in Compact SUV over $22,000 and Non Under $22,000 category.

The same with the Civic, Hybrid in Compact over $17,000, Non under $17,000 category.

There should be no surprise that a Hybrid has better value than comparable or higher priced non-hybrids. Their creature comforts are still in the low priced category though. By separating the hybrids into a more expensive category they effectively avoided comparing hybrid vs. non-hybrid.

I also notice the Civic is a Compact and the Prius is a Mid-Size?

The Difference minus tax benefit tells me that the Hybrids can't hold there own without help. In my opinion the tax benefit is transferring money to people who can afford to pay for their own choices. The libertarian in me says the tax benefit is bad social engineering.

Last edited by worthywads; 03-04-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Vincentric's Best Value -> Hybrids

Originally Posted by worthywads
Well I went to the autochannel site listed above and used there ownership cost guide. It left me wondering why they chose the Highlander or the Escape.
. . .
The Difference minus tax benefit tells me that the Hybrids can't hold there own without help. In my opinion the tax benefit is transferring money to people who can afford to pay for their own choices. The libertarian in me says the tax benefit is bad social engineering.
I'm not having any luck finding the Prius equivalent.

As for the "tax benefit," in Huntsville the dealer mark-up seems to be exactly the same. You don't suppose they know about the 'tax credit?'

Actually it is a question of 'supply and demand.' As far as I'm concerned, Ebay is the starting price and if the local dealer can't meet my Ebay backed price, I know where to go get the car I want at fair market value.

Bob Wilson