Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Since when is Consumer Reports so ridiculously wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Site Founder
Default Since when is Consumer Reports so ridiculously wrong?

CR’s suggestion when buying a new car is to reduce the EPA estimates by the following:

Conventional cars and trucks: 30%
Larger hybrids: 35%
Diesels: 36%
Smaller hybrids: 42%
http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000360061203/

So... the Prius gets 31.9 MPG. Are they smoking something?

Old 09-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Since when is Consumer Reports so ridiculously wrong?

Yes, they got 26 MPG in the HCH test. I would have loved to have been a fly on the window for that test and see what idiotic thing they did to get that low number. To quote Napoleon Dynamite:

"I D I O T S !!!!"

Old 09-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Banned
Default Wild Guess

The higher the EPA rating, the more bad driving can bring the figures down.

Hypothesis: If the EPA released the figures as liters consumed per 100 kilometers, the larger vehicles would undershoot the EPA estimates by the greatest margin.

Just the same, Consumer Reports should have mentioned something about responsible driving....

Old 09-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Crazy Hybrid Enthusiast

Glad I am not the only one who was asking the question what Consumer Reports was smoking... My friend showed me that crap and I showed him this web site and said these are real people not some test on how bad you can drive to get rancid MPG... I went 100 MPH once... and my MPG was less then 5... I wrote Toyota a letter because how dare they boast about gas when at those speeds my car was no better then a H2... LOL

Old 09-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

My theory is that Consumer Reports, like most journalists, drive these cars to check out performance - accelleration, handling, etc. I'm sure they drive the wheels off each car they get a hold of. I cannot for the life of me figure out why none of them are smart enough to figure out that if you drive that way you're going to get terrible mileage in any car. Their own data should be screaming this point at them!!! "Let's see, every car we test gets lower than EPA. Hmmmmm. What could the problem be....Oh yes. The industry lies to consumers, and we're here to expose the awful truth. Yes, lets print that. Because it clearly could not be our fault."

Old 09-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Wow they are way off, no one in the database is getting that low for the Prius or the Civic.

Still if they got their way and the Prius was rated at 32 mpg it would cut down on the whining. Pretty much everybody would match or beat the new EPA rating so they would all be happier.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:02 PM
FEH Advocate

So when the CR grass-roots revolt causes EPA to change their ratings to CR-type "real world" test results, does that mean majority of hybrid owners get to claim hypermiler status?!

Old 09-30-2005, 06:22 PM

The EPA can't change their test that easily because that would affect the CAFE regulations too, so automakers will lobby for them to stay the same, as they have been.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:55 PM

I think they were paid off.
By who? I wonder who would benefit by keeping MPG reports low and hiding the capability of these cars?
(That was not a political statement, but a business statement)

I know for a fact that CR can be paid off....case in point:

Back in early 2003 my dad knew I was in the market for a new car and sent me a "review" on the Prius in CR.

It was 3-4 pages and appeared to be a real-to-life actual review, complete with those highlighted quotes and ads sprinkled along the way.
It was a beautifuly glowing review in general and even pointed out a few things on the car that may need improvement.

My dad missed the magnifying glass sentance located under a line at the end in an area easily overlooked and said "Paid Toyota Advertisement"

I wish I would have kept that advertisement "review".

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 09-30-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
I think they were paid off.
By who? I wonder who would benefit by keeping MPG reports low and hiding the capability of these cars?
(That was not a political statement, but a business statement)

I know for a fact that CR can be paid off....case in point:

Back in early 2003 my dad knew I was in the market for a new car and sent me a "review" on the Prius in CR.

It was 3-4 pages and appeared to be a real-to-life actual review, complete with those highlighted quotes and ads sprinkled along the way.
It was a beautifuly glowing review in general and even pointed out a few things on the car that may need improvement.

My dad missed the magnifying glass sentance located under a line at the end in an area easily overlooked and said "Paid Toyota Advertisement"

I wish I would have kept that advertisement "review".
I thought that CR did not take adds??? Are you sure it was not a different consumer rag?

Last edited by lakedude; 09-30-2005 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Since when is Consumer Reports so ridiculously wrong?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands