Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Quiet cars may need alert for pedestrians

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Engineering first
Default Quiet cars may need alert for pedestrians

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...ON03/902170343

. . .
During the recent North American International Auto Show, I ventured onto the test track on the lower level to videotape the latest in "green" technology. All the vehicles were either electric or hybrid.

Believe me when I say they were absolutely silent; my vision and hearing are fine, but I found myself looking over my shoulder to see if a vehicle was creeping up on me.
. . .
You can reach Tom at commuter@detnews.com, (313) 222-2023 or by writing to The Detroit News, 615 W. Lafayette, Detroit, MI 48226
This is the note I sent Tom:
Hi Tom,

I too visited the Detroit Auto Show and saw: (1) Volvo pedestrian avoidance radar; and (2) Denso lane following, sign reading, and pedestrian tracking radar and digital camera. Also, you might have noticed BMW announced "the BMW 7 Series will include several technical innovation firsts, including the World's first Night Vision system with individual pedestrian recognition." These systems work for all pedestrians, the 4,700 who die each year, not just the 5 blind pedestrians.

There is an old saying that to someone who only has a hammer, all problems are nails. That pretty well sums up how the Nation Federation of the Blind perceives all vehicles. Sad to say, they haven't looked at the noise levels from all vehicles

In Europe, they also measure vehicle noise:
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/downloads/ . It turns out the Prius is not the quietest but it is is in the top 10% of all quiet vehicles. Others in that list include:

BMW 3 Series
Nissan X Trail 207
Mazda6
MBW 5 Series
Toyota Yaris
VW Passat
Daihatus Charade
Subaru Impreza
. . .

Currently the NFB is trying to get H.R. 734 passed, we call it the "Bell the Hybrid Act." The problem is it will only make hybrids just as deadly as today's vehicles. Safety is not improved because the advanced technologies like Volvo, BMW and Denso are delivering are not considered. H.R. 734 legislates the 'status quo', might as well require horse clops from cars.

Last year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration held a hearing in DC, June 23, on "Quet Cars" only the record also includes our opposition research. There is another side to the story:

www.regulations.gov - search "NHTSA-2008-0101-0020" for our research.
Bob Wilson

Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM
rgx
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Quiet cars may need alert for pedestrians

I think this is a myth that refuses to die. I have owned a very silent electric scooter, and now own both a HCH2 and a Vectrix. No problem at all with pedestrians. The thing is, you are either driving slowly in a parking lot or pedestrian zone where you anyway have to yield for them (at least that's what the law says over here). Or you are driving at speed on the road where pedestrians normally look both ways before crossing. Normal cars can not always be heard either, depending on background noise, wind, etc. so you can't rely on good hearing alone to detect an approaching car. At high speeds the noise from the tires and turbulence is higher than the engine noise so electric or not won't matter.