Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Plug-in: power flows both ways

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Engineering first
Wink Plug-in: power flows both ways

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/oct07/5630
. . .
Next up was Jon Wellinghoff of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, who coined the term “cash-back hybrid,” which clearly describes the benefit to consumers of plug-ins that not only charge themselves when demand is lightest and prices are lowest, but supply energy services to the grid as well. Collectively, Wellinghoff proposed, the batteries in millions of PHEVs could provide five distinct benefits: lowering green house-gas emissions, improving urban air quality, saving consumers money, bolstering power-grid reliability, and reducing oil imports.

How would those results be achieved? By making the energy stored in plug-in hybrids an integral part of the grid, using a few percent of each battery’s energy storage capacity to meet peak demand rather than adding new generating capacity—and by paying consumers accordingly.

The notion is called vehicle-to-grid power, or V2G, and its workings, economics, and practicalities were the meat and potatoes of the symposium. Wellinghoff’s model appeared to show the energy cost of a plug-in hybrid falling toward zero over time. Much discussion, and some derision, ensued.
. . .
My first Prius modification was to put a 1kW inverter in my Prius for emergency house power. It works but obviously was not designed to dump power back into the grid. However, the built-in inverter in our hybrids could easily handle this task.

The term I use is 'co-generation' and a modified hybrid could (and possibly should!) handle our home electrical, heating and cooling requirements. When we are not there, the house should revert to a maintenance power level.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 10-16-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 AM
dcf
Enthusiast
Default Re: Plug-in: power flows both ways

So, GreenHybrid would have to change the mpg database so as to allow the "I get xxx MPG" signature to show "and I feed yyy back into the grid"?