Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Oil analysis series - Auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 AM
Engineering first
Default Oil analysis series - Auto

I've been a fan of Autospeed for sometime and continue to receive the e-magazine. They just started a series on oil analysis and I think it is very useful as an introduction to the subject:

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110658/article.html

I especially enjoyed the mapping of wear material to specific parts of the engine or transmission. A good read!

All serious users of lubricating oils - from race teams to industry - use oil analysis to indicate the health of both the oil and the system that's being lubricated. Having an oil analysis performed is also quite cheap - but how are the results of that testing to be interpreted? Here a leading expert in oil analysis takes us through the laboratory techniques that are used to examine used oil, and guides us in how to interpret the results that result from the testing.
Bob Wilson

Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil analysis series - Auto

Interesting, Bob!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes very good stuff about ratios and element associations. Looking forward to the later chapters. Would be great if posting links here causes a few more hybrid drivers to jump on the used oil analysis bandwagon. It is really the only way to see what's going on inside your engine, without disassembly.

Julian Edgar (an editor of Autospeed) used to shock us with extreme modifications to his Prius.

DAS

Old 08-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for pointing out part one of this article. Here is the URL to part 2:
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110659/article.html