Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

A news reporter is asking me some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default A news reporter is asking me some questions.

How'd I do?

Hello Steve, My name is Christine Tierney and I’m a reporter for The Detroit News. I asked xxxxx at xxxxx.com to help me locate hybrid owners for a story I’m doing on hybrids. He said you are a Civic owner and get impressive mileage. Would you be willing to speak with me for a few minutes this week about your hybrid ownership and driving experiences?
Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Christine

I only need to speak with you for maybe 5-10 minutes but in the event that tomorrow isn’t convenient – here are my questions – and my deadline is end of the business day, Monday, Jan. 2.

1)Have you adapted the way you drive to increase fuel-efficiency?

2)How important is it to you to recoup the additional cost of the hybrid from fuel-savings? Do you feel that you have recovered the extra cost? What were the main reasons that you went for a hybrid?

3)Would you buy another hybrid after this, or have any drawbacks/shortcomings put you off?

4)From your conversations with people, do you get a sense that more people are seriously considering a hybrid purchase or do you expect it will stay a niche product?

5)Have you driven any hybrids other than the one you own?

I’ll try you tomorrow – if it’s not a good time, perhaps you could write back or else we could speak on Sunday or Monday.

Many thanks for your help,

Christine

My reply:

Hi Christine.
Yes. But I came from being a terrible fuel waster, it was always to the floor and quite a dangerous driver. My last car was a Dodge 4cy that only did about 15MPG, it was rated at around 21MPG by the EPA.
Our family also has a 2001 Grand Caravan and using the same lessons learned in our hybrid car, have raised its economy from about 16 to lower 20's MPG simply by dumping the aggressive driving habit.
The highest MPG I have ever gotten in the GC is 28, driven for extreme economy.
Grand Caravan MPG difference regarding driving habits is about 12MPG.
The Civic Hybrid has a much larger economy swing depending on how it's driven. (About 40MPG)
Had I bought another car (Like a regular Civic) I would have learned nothing of economy and still be driving like a wild person.
So indeed I have modified my driving habits and it has been a win-win in all areas.
I was in the market for a small economy car, but was looking for a top of the line model in the class.
I could have bought its sister, a Civic EX for about $1500 less. Most people are getting upper 20's to mid 30's MPG in that auto.
Given my comment about buying a non-hybrid I'd likely have gotten upper teens MPG if I made that choice.
I received both the $2000 government hybrid incentive along with my fuel savings... first in the Hybrid then in the Grand Caravan.

I went for the hybrid because it was among the top of its class, and for its fuel saving capability.
Our family will be in the market again in 5-7 years to replace the Grand Caravan. What ever we choose, the hybrid option will get first consideration.
Many people still don't understand how hybrids work, and think they are tied to an electrical outlet. Others don't know about the MFG's great battery warranty. Lack of knowledge is the biggest deterrent, in my opinion.
I also see publication after publication how hybrid cars don't get EPA ratings. People think these cars magically do it all regardless of one's habits.
For example Consumer Reports professional drivers only reported 28MPG from my car, (I believe was the figure) While in my experience even using cruise control gets pretty close (0r exceeds) the 47-51MPG rating.
I have yet to read in any publication to date that shows how high the economy can go with these hybrid vehicles.
I have not driven any other hybrids.
Think it will be published as a negative report?

Old 12-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Default Re: A news reporter is asking me some questions.

Not bad. Very good responses. Now its up the the reporter to take the words and twist them so that they don't sound at all like what you said.

Sorry if I'm cynical but one member gave an interview to a reporter onces and was so mortified at how the words were twisted and taken out of context he left the boards because he felt so ashamed. I lost all faith in reporters and will forever assume what ever they say is a lie.

I hope this one is different so I can see some good from a reporter. If that happens who knows. Maybe I will start my way back to trusting them again.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:58 PM

ugh. The HBO folks who covered the Prius P&G marathon did a piece on me for the same documentary...can't wait to see how badly I get taken out of context...

Old 12-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Technology Enthusiast

As a member of the media (TV) we are not all bad. We did a nice segment ( 3 minutes) on my own experiences with the Ford Escape back in Jan 05 after it was named car of the year at the Detroit International Car Show. After asking the obligitory "Do you have to plug it in and How long before the extra cost will return the extra investment" the segment was informative. The answer to the how long did it take before a return on investment was " When you buy a car how long did your purchase take to return one?." I said that their purchase did not return any and only continued to loose money comapred to mine. I then told them that if more people drove a hybrid that our dependence on foreign oil would go way down. I also mentioned the $2k tax break that I got and the " Family" plan pricing which actually brought the difference to less than $1000 versus the non hybrid.

Now on the other hand, I don't know about a print media people

Old 12-31-2005, 12:39 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
How'd I do?

Think it will be published as a negative report?
You offered the facts and data and that is all that can be asked for. Reporters live by writing to deadlines and if they get the important parts, don't sweat their mistakes.

Posting your answers here works much better. We're into nuance and can appreciate how driving a hybrid opens up our eyes to how to operate other vehicles.

We had to replace a 91 Camry with our 03 Prius but we'd gotten 38 mpg on the last tank versus the regular 32 mpg by:

1) predictive braking
2) pulse 'n glide hill driving (possible with a clutch)

Bob Wilson

Old 12-31-2005, 12:53 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

LOL, I've written in to both newspapers here, the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press. I've never gotten asked for info for a piece like that, though my letter did start a new section in the Free Press.

Bah! They could've asked a local.

Anywho, well done, not much there that can be used against hybrids, and some good info there.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:39 AM

I've taken to answering the "payback period" question like this:

...How long is the payback period on the sports appearance package, or leather, or DVD navi in your car? Having those was a priority to you; having better FE and promoting an infant technology are priorities to me.
"Hybrid" is simply an option, and its cost is in line with adding a navi or other high-end accessory package. So really all I did was add an option to a car that I would've likely bought anyway. I simply customized the car to fit my taste and priorities, just like you did with yours.

Making them think about the absurdity of "payback period" for an option package shuts them up every time. You pick what you want, within your budget. They picked sports trim and DVD players; I picked hybrid.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:25 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonavy
I've taken to answering the "payback period" question like this:

...How long is the payback period on the sports appearance package, or leather, or DVD navi in your car? Having those was a priority to you; having better FE and promoting an infant technology are priorities to me.
"Hybrid" is simply an option, and its cost is in line with adding a navi or other high-end accessory package. So really all I did was add an option to a car that I would've likely bought anyway. I simply customized the car to fit my taste and priorities, just like you did with yours.

Making them think about the absurdity of "payback period" for an option package shuts them up every time. You pick what you want, within your budget. They picked sports trim and DVD players; I picked hybrid.

Very good way to look at it. Impressive!!!

Old 12-31-2005, 08:33 AM

Very well done. Given the tax credit in 2006, I would say the payback period is immediate. The expected credit should more than make up for the MSRP difference for the hybrid option -- if you paid more than MSRP that's your own fault. After that it's all gravy. Personally, I believe that gas prices will continue to rise (current trends not withstanding) and therefore, it becomes a better and better investment as time goes on.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:36 AM
Banned

Hot Georgia,

Hope it turns into a good story for both you and the reporter.

I want to believe that there are good reporters out there. The experience tbalano alluded to along with a story about my workplace has shaken me about journalism.

Again, I hope it turns into a good story....

Quick Reply: A news reporter is asking me some questions.

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands