Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Navistar / Eaton Hydraulic Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Navistar / Eaton Hydraulic Hybrid

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/3990237.html

Originally Posted by chron.com
The hybrid, which was developed through a partnership between the EPA, UPS, the Army's National Automotive Center, Eaton Corp. and Navistar's International Truck and Engine Corp., combines a high-efficiency diesel engine with a hydraulic propulsion system, which replaces the vehicle's conventional drivetrain and transmission. . . .

In laboratory testing, the hybrid achieved a 60 percent to 70 precent improvment in fuel economy and a reduction of more than 40 percent in emissions, versus current UPS trucks. . . .
I saw the PowerPoint version of this hybrid drive system in Al Gore's "High Mileage Vehicle" program in 2000. Then GW killed it for the hot-air, hydrogen fraud. The version I saw was proposed by GM for pickups.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Proud to be GM
Default Re: Navistar / Eaton Hydraulic Hybrid

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/3990237.html

I saw the PowerPoint version of this hybrid drive system in Al Gore's "High Mileage Vehicle" program in 2000. Then GW killed it for the hot-air, hydrogen fraud. The version I saw was proposed by GM for pickups.

Bob Wilson
I think this was supplied to the military for some pick-ups. Can't recall exactly when or how many or if it is even still a live program. So why not in production for the everyday consumer? Emissions.

Peace,

Martin

Old 06-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Energy Independence!
Default Re: Navistar / Eaton Hydraulic Hybrid

Ihad always wondered how come the package delivery business (UPS, Fedex, and most importantly the Postal Service) had not conisdered such a vehicle..... I'm so glad that UPS, with its large clout, has finally stepped in.

Although I would think that the Postal Service would be the one to gain the most from a vehicle optimized for stop and go operations.