Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

I can drive 65

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up I can drive 65

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/02/auto...imit/index.htm

The American Trucking Associations, which represents trucking companies, is calling for the return of a uniform national speed limit, something this country hasn't seen since the 1990s. But this time the ATA is after something a little more modest: It wants to drop the limit to 65 mph for all cars and trucks. ...
I can drive 65 mph and get 52-54 MPG all day long. I get there with money to spare.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-07-2008, 04:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I can drive 65

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/02/auto...imit/index.htm

I can drive 65 mph and get 52-54 MPG all day long. I get there with money to spare.

Bob Wilson

Yup.
The fact is, 65mph is already the speed limit in most parts of the country I've seen; except for some places out West.

Here on my morning commute, the stretch of I-95 I use going into Philly the speed limit is 55mph. This is treated like a joke by everybody. A lot of commuters are pushing 75mph, even 80+mph. Enforcement is "lax". No one wants to pay more tax dollars to state government, the State Police, etc.

But I LOVE my fellow commuters; I just keep telling myself that.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:06 AM
Prius geek

'tis true about the 55 miles per hour joke. Here in Harrisburg where no less than THREE major interstates converge, it's 70 miles per hour plus or get the hell outa the way! It really is amazing how so many people are so late and care so little about what they are truly paying at the pump when they speed. Not to mention the safety factor. Want to lower your stress? leave early, drive the speed limit. It isn't that hard to change your driving habits...or is it? Maybe the Prius has spoiled me. I know my $25 fillups have, but people are not slowing down or driving more sensibly. Again, no law presence, no consequences.

55 to 65 MPH = 54 MPG on a recent trip to Cleveland (well, Kent, OH to be exact) and back. That was just over 600 miles and it cost me $42 in fuel. Others it seems kept passing and re-passing me as I KNOW they had to stop more often for fuel, speed past me, stop, re-fuel, speed past me. No one is thinking, no one has responsibility.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

What I have noticed in my neck of the woods, is that during commuting hours, the sky is the limit. Usually 80mph is the NORM. But when I travel during non peak hours, or on weekends, people tend to slow down and ironically, enforcement rises. I don't think the state police believe they have a prayer slowing down heavy volume traveling so fast, so they tend to concentrate on the lower volume times when it's easier to pick out the violators.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't see the big deal driving 70mph. Most cars can handle this speed safely. Those that can't shouldn't be on the road and will ignore any limit regardless. So I don't buy the safety arguement. Anyway, most people go the speed they feel comfortable with and ignore the limit. 70mph is actually slow where I live.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast

Out here in New Mexico, most interstate traffic is moving at 75+ MPH; closer to 80-85 MPH for those who choose to drive the left lane because the 'slow pokes' in the right lane are only doing 70 (I'm one of those slow pokes, sometimes I choose to drive 65-70 for better fuel economy and to p*ss off the impatient one.) And this is high-altitude, high-desert (mostly above 6000 ft elevation), so it taxes the fuel economy of even the most frugal vehicle.

Some stretches of interstate with high volume traffic, like between Abq and Santa Fe, deserve 3 lanes each way, to enhance safety. But they won't do that, because the Rail Runner commuter train line is being installed in the median between the divided highway.

Back on-topic, I like driving more sedately, even with the long distances out here; I like good MPG figures and less wear & tear on the car ('98 Jetta TDI.)

~Joe

Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by livvie
I don't see the big deal driving 70mph. Most cars can handle this speed safely. Those that can't shouldn't be on the road and will ignore any limit regardless. So I don't buy the safety argument. Anyway, most people go the speed they feel comfortable with and ignore the limit. 70mph is actually slow where I live.
Reaction time is lowered the faster you go. If you've got someone doing the limit at 65mph and you're doing 85 mph in the lane to the left and he\she decides to pull into your lane to go around the vehicle that's going slower in front of him you will close the gap a lot faster and possibly might not have time to slow down or avoid hitting that vehicle. It may not be right that they pulled in front of you but it happens all of the time. Technically they are in the right as they are faster traffic than what's in front of them. When the signs say "Slower Traffic Keep To The Right" it is meant for the people who don't do up to the speed limit. I'm playing Devil's advocate here.

I feel comfortable driving 100 mph. Heck I feel comfortable driving into oncoming traffic as I used to do that when I was a medic. Does that mean I should do it? When I had my Bonneville SSEi it could easily handle it but I didn't....well 2 or 3 times but only to pass people where I-80 merged from 3 to 2 lanes. Now I just shake my head at the people who do that and wonder what the hell was I thinking before.