Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid Vandalism

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Hybrid Vandalism

Pressdemo.com News

Article published - Apr 13, 2008
PETALUMA
Vandals strike 6 hybrid cars

By MARY CALLAHAN
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

A vandalism report involving a Toyota Prius parked overnight on the west side of Petaluma highlights a disturbing trend, police said Saturday.

Someone is stalking the popular hybrids.

Six such cars have been vandalized in Petaluma in the past two weeks, all but one of them parked on the city's west side.

Five times a brick, rock or hammer has been thrown through a window. Once, a fender was dented, police said.

"We have no idea at this point" who is responsible or why, police Sgt. Mark Hunter said. "And it's possible that there are vandalisms that have occurred that have not yet been reported."

The first case was reported March 30 after a rock was thrown through the window of a Prius on Oak Street not far from Oak Hill Park.

Subsequent reports involved damage to cars on April 3 on St. Francis Drive; April 4 on El Rose Drive; April 5 on Fourth Street; and Saturday on Webster Street and on West Street.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Default Re: Hybrid Vandalism

Has anybody experienced vandalism to their hybrid? A couple of weeks ago I was parked downtown and I had dropped off a friend at a rental car place and was in there for 10 mins. It was early morning on a Sunday. When I walked back out to my car somebody had spit on my car. How childish is that?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Engineering first

You don't mean the mechanics in the service shops ??? <rim shot>

I live in Huntsville AL and the worst I've seen was somebody once yelled at me because I wasn't driving fast enough for their taste. Since then, I've improved my route and figured out how to be "in the slow" lane at all times.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-16-2008, 10:08 AM

I had 1 suspicious incident about a year and a half ago. My wife had the car parked toward the back of a mall lot, no cars around, and found a scratch on the rear driver side quarter panel. Black rubber marks were present to boot (like a tire transfer) but there were no dents, which seems to rule out a bump from as large a vehicle as it would have had to have been. Perhaps transfer from a tennis shoe?

It is unfortunate that those who ignorantly purchased and drive gas hogs see fit to take out their misfortune on us simply for being responsible.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Hybrid Vandalism

It could be worse . . . Boston. I'm not sure but I think the dealers sell new cars 'pre-dented.' I can't remember any area outside of a salvage yard that had so many dented cars on the road . . . and late models too. Then there is that popular tune they play downtown, "The Horn Symphony" by Khaos.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Hybrid Owner

I'm used to vandalism in Memphis...one of my Miatas had Taco Bell hot sauce poured on it. My Ford Focus was spat on more than once. I had a Dodge Intrepid rental that someone in heels decided to dance on outside of a club.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 PM

from another forum i read that one of the people that had their prius damaged took it into a shop and were given a loaner prius. i assume the lady lived in the area that the damage took place and the loaner prius was vanadalized.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Energy Independence

No vandals, here (<knocks on wood>).

Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 PM

when i had a civic hybrid i didn't worry too much since it didn't stick out. i had take all the badges off the civic hybrid since i like it that way. but, the prius is only available as a hybrid and the hybrid car icon. so, that is what worries me. i am sure people with conventional cars that are offered in hybrid form don't run into this problem as much...civic, camry, highlander, gs, ls, etc.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by medicmike
It is unfortunate that those who ignorantly purchased and drive gas hogs see fit to take out their misfortune on us simply for being responsible.
You don't know the reason(s) and you don't have any one to accuse. Asinine comments won't make it better.

Quick Reply: Hybrid Vandalism

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands