Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid owner obsesses over every last bit of mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast
Wink Hybrid owner obsesses over every last bit of mileage

By Gary Richards
Mercury News

I woke up grumpy in the pre-dawn darkness Thursday, and not because the puppy bolted up at 2:30 a.m. to play. No, I was upset over something ******* me for months -- the poor mileage I've been getting in my 7-month-old Prius.

Since summer, despite all my driving tricks and countless tips from other hybrid owners, mileage has fallen to under 50 miles per gallon, usually in the 43 to 47 range. A few times, as low as 41 mpg.
Read more: Mercury News

Old 11-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Default Re: Hybrid owner obsesses over every last bit of mileage

Who is this guy? Where does he live? What kind of hybrid does he have?

I'm only able to hold about 45 now that we are getting colder up in chicago and we are on winter gas. This is all city driving in an HCH I. But if he has a similar situation I think he is doing okay. I would like to know what he was getting before it started dropping for him.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Who is this guy? Where does he live? What kind of hybrid does he have?

I'm only able to hold about 45 now that we are getting colder up in chicago and we are on winter gas. This is all city driving in an HCH I. But if he has a similar situation I think he is doing okay. I would like to know what he was getting before it started dropping for him.
Gary Richards is columnist at Mercury News.

According to his article, he drives a Prius and lives in Washington, DC.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Hybrid owner obsesses over every last bit of mileage

Originally Posted by torresinc
Read more: Mercury News
ROTFLMAO!

Bob Wilson

Old 11-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Addicted Enthusiast

Are we laughing at the columnist, or with him? I'm laughing with him, since I obsess about mileage too. When I see the wife after work, the standard "What's for dinner?" has been superceded by "What's your mileage today?".

If the original article doesn't make you laugh, read the comments at the bottom. I really like the one claiming his diesel produces less greenhouse gasses than a Prius. Go figure...

Old 11-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Hybrid owner obsesses over every last bit of mileage

Originally Posted by simpleman
. . . I'm laughing with him, since I obsess about mileage too. When I see the wife after work, the standard "What's for dinner?" has been superceded by "What's your mileage today?". . . .
Me too. <GRINS> Check out my signature.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Hybrid owner obsesses over every last bit of mileage

I understand. During cold weather my mpg drops to around 40.
In perfect springtime weather I may get close to 50...usually high 40s.
I've never stayed above 50mpg for any extended period of time.
This is with a 2005 Prius. I used to own a Prius one which topped out in the high 30s on a really good day. The folks consistently getting into the 50s must all drive downhill (smile). Take comfort..you're not alone. Even at 40 mpg you're doing a whole lot better than the folks with conventional cars.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It doesn't even take a hybrid owner to obsess over mileage. Just having that display there (I added one) is enough to make it into a game, and losing isn't any fun! I recently moved my ScanGauge to a less prominent location so that I won't be encouraged to stare at the instant numbers while I'm driving. It helps when you are learning what to do with the throttle but can get in the way of more important things after a while. As for plummeting gas mileage, you just have to accept that cold weather does it. Our standards for what is "good" and what is "bad" have to change according to what is mechanically feasible.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

I keep my monitor turned off. Checking my mpg occasionally is fine. Trying to drive and maximize every ounce of gas by starting at the screen is a bad safety situation for me.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It's quite a funny story. Is it really true that it's illegal to drive barefoot in California? I would believe it, I've just never heard that. Anyway, I think I recognize this writer from the descriptions some people post here. There are more like him than you would think. And the winter glums- not at all unexpected.

Quick Reply: Hybrid owner obsesses over every last bit of mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands