Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid harbinger

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Hybrid harbinger

"Hybrid harbinger

By Jon Newberry
Post staff reporter Just as Toyota is starting to sell hybrid versions of its popular Camry sedan, U.S. sales trends of Toyota's groundbreaking Prius hybrid are slowing for the first time since consumer demand surged more than two years ago.

The timing isn't mere coincidence, nor is the cause a shortage of willing buyers for Toyota Motor Co.'s gasoline-and-electric-powered Prius, according to company officials. Rather, the problem is that there are even fewer Priuses available than there were last year, when waiting lists often stretched to six months. . . ."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....345/1010/RSS01

What a nice problem to have . . . a car you can't make fast enough.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid harbinger

Nice for Toyota, anyway. And it's a good sign that folks are buying up the little efficiency machines, indicating a positive shift in attitude. But it makes me wonder, how many would-be Prius drivers are out there who couldn't accept the long wait and ended up with something less fuel efficient? I'm sure some went over to the HCH instead, which is quite a machine as well. But I wonder if a measureable quantity of fuel has been "wasted" due to the inability to procure an efficient hybrid vehicle within an acceptable time frame? Then there's the issue of cost. This wouldn't be fantastic for Toyota, but it would be nicer for us if the supply/demand balance tipped a little more in our direction so as to ease the price premium. Oh, well. Everything will improve somewhat once the KY plant gets rolling with those Camrys.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by brick
Nice for Toyota, anyway. And it's a good sign that folks are buying up the little efficiency machines, indicating a positive shift in attitude. But it makes me wonder, how many would-be Prius drivers are out there who couldn't accept the long wait and ended up with something less fuel efficient? I'm sure some went over to the HCH instead, which is quite a machine as well. But I wonder if a measureable quantity of fuel has been "wasted" due to the inability to procure an efficient hybrid vehicle within an acceptable time frame? Then there's the issue of cost. This wouldn't be fantastic for Toyota, but it would be nicer for us if the supply/demand balance tipped a little more in our direction so as to ease the price premium. Oh, well. Everything will improve somewhat once the KY plant gets rolling with those Camrys.
Actually nice for Toyota and Honda. If some folks take the HCH option instead of the Prius that is perfectly fine with me. Heck, I don't mind if they take the Ford or even the Lexus option. There is more than enough business for all hybrid manufacturers!

Best of all, this demand sends a clear and unambigous message to the non-hybrid vendors and hybrid skeptics. It is whacking them with a 'clue by four' in the only language they apparently understand, the market place.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Hybrid True Believer

The Prius shortage (which has been a problem for YEARS) is how I ended up with my HCH. And, as someone else pointed out, the HCH is a very fine machine. I'm happy every time I drive it. The thrill never ends!

But maybe in 2008 or 2009, I would by a Prius if I COULD. Otherwise, maybe the hybrid Honda FIT will be out by then. . .

Old 05-19-2006, 11:03 AM
YA RLY.

One of the main reasons why I have an HCH instead of a Prius is because Toyota dealers suck

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands