Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hundreds of Thousands Without Power

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Engineering first
Default Hundreds of Thousands Without Power

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,465880,00.html

CONCORD, N.H. — Hundreds of thousands of residents in New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont were without power Friday as an ice storm dropped trees and power lines all over the region.
Taxed utilities say they the number of outages may rise, and that they may not be able to get all of the lights back on for several days.
"It's a mess," said spokesman Jim Van Dongen at New Hampshire's Department of Emergency Management.
"A lot of secondary roads are closed, because trees and limbs have fallen on them," he said.
New Hampshire was the hardest hit in northern New England by the storm that brought rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow through the night. The mix was continuing through the day Friday.
. . .
My first modification:

I believe this should be an option for every hybrid, the ability to generate at least 1.5 kW of 110 AC power. More is desirable but our cars should be mobile, portable generators.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Hundreds of Thousands Without Power

Hi Bob have you seen what General motors has done with there hybrid pick ups yet? I'm sure you have. They have 110 volt A/C outlets in the bed of there trucks. Pretty cool feature.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Energy Independence

I agree, pretty cool. And, Bob, a 110V outlet should be standard on ALL hybrids!

Old 12-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Engineering first

A more recent article reported 1.2 million without power. One of these days a hybrid car owner is going to make a commercial that shows a couple in in a house that goes dark in a winter storm including the Christmas lights. A woman's voice calls out, "Honey, the lights went out." The husband in a winter coat heads out to the hybrid trailing an extension cord. He starts it up, plugs in the extension cord, the house lights come on again and he trundles back into the house.

Dang it! Now I'm going to have to string up the Christmas lights.

Bob Wilson