Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Diesel Hybrid-Electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Engineering first
Talking Diesel Hybrid-Electric

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_108109/article.html

"A UK government challenge to produce a medium/small vehicle with CO2 emissions of less than 100 g/km has seen engineering company Ricardo team up with PSA Peugeot Citroën and UK research group QinetiQ to develop an innovative diesel full-hybrid. This article first appeared in the Ricardo Quarterly Review and is used with permission. . . .

By now the Efficient-C architecture had become finalised. A five-speed automated manual transmission was chosen as the most efficient means of keeping the engine in its optimum operating regime, while the electro-hydraulic clutch was positioned between the engine and the electric motor generator so as to allow independent electric operation without the diesel engine running.
. . .
“Diesel engines are most efficient at roughly one-third speed and two-thirds of the rated torque,” explains Greenwood. “That’s why we don’t run the engine in the non-efficient areas of its operating map.”

As a result, Ricardo’s map of a typical mid-sized diesel’s fuel efficiency shows three distinct areas of operation: the traditional broad speed-load area required for the standard MVEG consumption and emissions cycle, a smaller island of peak diesel efficiency within this area, and a distinct no-go zone at light load and low rpm where electric rather than internal combustion power is called for.
. . ."

Finally, a hybrid-electric that seriously challenges all existing hybrids. I really like this approach! Best of all, there are no patent issues.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Diesel Hybrid-Electric

A UK government challenge to produce a medium/small vehicle with CO2 emissions of less than 100 g/km

Where is the comparable Bush Administration challenge?

Harry

Old 02-15-2007, 06:48 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Earthling
. . .Where is the comparable Bush Administration challenge?
They renamed it "Freedom Car" and replaced this Clinton administration program for high mileage vehicles with the hydrogen fraud.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I remain skeptic until real world numbers are realized.

Not all, but certainly most diesel people I've seen have religious-like
fanaticism and resent any challenging technology which threatens to be as good (or better than) a traditional diesel auto.
Given that and how most European media portrays "Diesel, the perfect motoring solution" just doesn't ring true for me.

I remain skeptic because typically the article only points out positive aspects of diesel technology while not showing you any "other" things to challenge it. For example:
the 1500 horsepower Dieselmax streamliner took the world land speed record for diesel-powered cars at Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah in August 2006, raising the bar to over 350 mph
350MPH record is certainly impressive.
But they failed to mention the gasoline turbine record of almost 460MPH.
http://www.speedace.info/speedace_welcome_page.htm

I'm
NOT saying that diesel is bad. I think it is one good choice for efficient cars.

Personally I think an electrically assisted diesel would have some MPG gain, but would it be accepted by the diesel community who have always taunted it as "Overly complicated"? I don't think so.
For example even though Prius, HCH and Jetta TDI generally get about the same MPG for average users, somehow it's the HCH or especially Prius that's all hype while diesel is printed as the "clear winner".

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 02-24-2007 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Clarity