Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Deutscher Herausgeber auf hybriden Autos

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Engineering first
Cool Deutscher Herausgeber auf hybriden Autos

http://www.ethicalcorp.com/content.asp?ContentID=5480

. . .
a common answer to the question of who makes the greenest car is Toyota, thanks to its high-profile 105g/km CO2 Prius.
. . .
A recent study by European green lobby group Transport & Environment (T&E) found that three-quarters of the 20 major brands sold in the EU in 2005 had failed to improve fuel efficiency since 1997 at the rate needed to meet their own voluntary target of 140g/km by 2008. This has prompted the EU to propose a statutory limit of 130g/km for new cars from 2012.
. . .
Guido Reinking, editor of Automobilwoche, says: “There is no more ineffective or expensive method of cutting emissions than by combining a gasoline engine and an electric motor to power a vehicle.” This is because electric motors add complexity, weight and cost, and because gasoline engines emit about 20% more CO2 than diesel engines of the same power.
It is good to know that Germany has their own "CNW Marketing" / "Penn and Teller" editors.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Wink Re: Deutscher Herausgeber auf hybriden Autos

Why are you surprised?

... It's Germany. Diesel über alles.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Deutscher Herausgeber auf hybriden Autos

Not everyone in Germany is blowing smoke. See this Counterpoint article.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:02 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Deutscher Herausgeber auf hybriden Autos

Hi,

I noticed the original article had a place for comments so I left this rather tame one:
The quote, "Guido Reinking, editor of Automobilwoche, says: “There is no more ineffective or expensive method of cutting emissions than by combining a gasoline engine and an electric motor to power a vehicle.”" follows a topic sentence about the T&E study. Was his quote part of their study?

Guido's comment seems at odds with the earlier report, "a common answer to the question of who makes the greenest car is Toyota, thanks to its high-profile 105g/km CO2 Prius." I suspect his comment is just a snippet of his original editorial but without the full text, it may be out of context. He may have addressed the performance of the Prius.

It would be unfair to comment about a snipped of Guido's article although it is at odds with the measured Prius performance. Perhaps Guido might be invited to complete the article and/or expound on the inconsistency?
I tried to find Guido's original editorial but soon discovered I would have to pay for that privilege. I have no problem with subscribing to the online magazine http://www.autospeed.com.au/ because they provide useful technical content and don't lock up everything behind a fee. But it is rough to 'pay for' the privilege to have an accurate opinion piece from someone whose snippet suggests they are brain-dead. Still, I wanted to be as fair as possible while pointing out the obvious problems.

Given the high ranking of the HCH, I suspect another comment would be in order. However, I don't have the source material to cite correctly. Still, it would be good to suggest that accuracy also is an important ethical goal.

Bob Wilson