Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Detroit Free Press: Hybrid owners say style's not so critical

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Detroit Free Press: Hybrid owners say style's not so critical

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/...e_20051020.htm

Yup.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Detroit Free Press: Hybrid owners say style's not so critical

Hi Pravus Prime:

___Since the Toyota Echo and Prius I shared many of the same mechanicals and styling yet neither sold worth a ****, what do you think the DFP means when they say hybrid drivers don’t care about styling? Place the updated HSD in the defunked Echo and it would not be nearly the hot commodity that the Prius II is today even though it would receive even higher FE!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Arrrrrrgggh you beat me to the punch, Xcel - I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the thread heading!

Old 10-21-2005, 04:19 PM

The Corolla has now taken on many of the styling features of the Prius I, and it sells quite well. In Canada the Echo did pretty good too, so it depends on the segment of buyers you look at. I would even say the Prius I did pretty well, considering it was unknown territory for buyers, especially when you compare it to the 'stylish' Insight.

Last edited by Schwa; 10-21-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:30 PM

No doubt it did relatively well, but it didn;t cause nearly the splash the Prius II did, and I know a lot of the chic crowd that went Gen II that never considered Gen I - wasn't stylish enough for some.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:35 PM

I'll be the first to admit the Prius I looks a bit funny, no doubt about that... and the Prius II certainly takes a sense of adventure or at least you need to be attracted to it's style in order to enjoy it, but I find that the thing on the top of most people's list when it comes to buying the Prius is the technology and fuel economy. When Toyota comes out with the Camry Hybrid, we'll see (depending on FE as well) how people like an ordinary looking HSD.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:26 PM

Hi Schwa:

___The Corolla is nothing like the Prius I or Echo inside and especially out! A few of the underpinnings are based off one another (solid beam rear axle …) just like the Prius II

___In a similar light, the Corolla sold 254,000 units in 04 vs. the Echo’s 3,176.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...03/144729.html

___The Prius I and II have very similar mechanicals right down to the same block but the newer, stylish one is the much larger seller.

___I cannot wait to see the Camry w/ HSD. I hope they used the Corolla’s 1.8L, Atkinsonized and PZEV’ed it as well as added HSD for 50 +/40 + city/highway.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-21-2005, 08:49 PM

I personally think more "normalized" hybrids - like a Corolla - are going to start picking up the pace when it comes to sales. Part of the reason I think Honda and Toyota made the Insight and Prius II so eye-opening in exterior appearance was exactly that: to open eyes. Now that hybrid technology is no longer a secret and the general public is becomming more and more familiar with alternative forms of automobile energy, hybrids won't have to look spacemobilish anymore.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Early Adopter

I'm afraid I don't like the current Prius. The old one was "cute" and had a certain funky character to it. The new one is trying to hard to be "different"

But then I like my 1964 Volvo PV544 too...

Old 10-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by helterskelter683
I personally think more "normalized" hybrids - like a Corolla - are going to start picking up the pace when it comes to sales. Part of the reason I think Honda and Toyota made the Insight and Prius II so eye-opening in exterior appearance was exactly that: to open eyes. Now that hybrid technology is no longer a secret and the general public is becomming more and more familiar with alternative forms of automobile energy, hybrids won't have to look spacemobilish anymore.
I tend to believe that this will be the case. Escape, Highlander, and 400h are probably good indications of this trend. It'll be good for the consumer if that is the case, because avoiding the expense of developing specific sheetmetal and fascias for hybrids as opposed to non-hybrids can help to bring the costs of the overall vehicle down.

Peace,

James

Quick Reply: Detroit Free Press: Hybrid owners say style's not so critical

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands