Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Consumer Report's Blog Rips Hypermiling

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Banned
Thumbs down Consumer Report's Blog Rips Hypermiling

Originally Posted by Consumer Report's Blog
The other day I知 following a Honda Insight hybrid driving rather quickly down a hill. But as the hill flattens and we start climbing another hill, the little Insight slows down. As we approach an intersection, I see the light has just turned green and I知 sure we値l make it. But we池e still climbing and the Insight is continues to shed speed. Finally, the light turns yellow and then red. But instead of stopping, the Insight drives right through the red light and continues puttering down the road.
Rest of blog

Old 05-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Banned
Default Re: Consumer Report's Blog Rips Hypermiling

I've always thought Consumer Reports thoughly researches their material - even blogs before putting them out to print. The blogger (profile here might hint at his perspective) Does this remind you of the early hybrid reviews by gearheads? Hardly a neutral observer and definitely not a statistical sample. Prius Chat (mentioned in blog) and other sites would have condemned the Insight running the red stop sign from hypermilers themselves.

What really endangers lifes and wastes fuel on the roads today? Here is an example of a minor fender-bender in the North Dallas area in Carrollton at I35E and TX190:
  • 1-2 thousand drivers at gridlock on the side of the minor accident
  • About as many rubberneckers in the opposite direction slowing down for no good reason
  • I consumed 25% more fuel on that commute, so multiply that times those thousands of drivers, plus the police and wrecker that came.
  • All because one driver was late, sleepy, inattentive, speeding,...or something else that was probably easily avoidable.

Maybe the blogger got a buzz, but the real waste and hazard is NOT hypermiling. BTW - he totally misrepresented that.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Banned

Possible Blog Update

Got to read on, but does give a mention that hypermiling sites do not condone what this sole Insighter did.

Whether it was there from the get go or later added, I'm glad that's noted.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned

Consumer Reports replied and pointed out the 4th and last paragraph of the blog was actually quite positive....sadly "fair use" cuts off the quote well before that and the overall tone had one bad Insight driver represent all hypermilers, which resulted in a lot of unhappy replies.

I'll give them credit for responding.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Engineering first

Hi,

I smiled reading these two parts from the blog introduction:
... I知 following a Honda Insight hybrid driving ... Maybe you池e trying to keep your Prius-o-meter above 50 mpg so you can post your results on Priuschat.com. ...
Hummm, I have to smile at the thought of an Insight was being abused to smack-down posters in Priuschat.com. Of course I may have a jaundiced view of PriusChat. I tend to hang out in the technical forums and monitor the "Fuel economy" forum for systemic postings that tie back to Prius architecture or physics.

Recently, a Washington Post reporter asked about 'competitive MPG driving' over in PriusChat. There have been nearly a dozen follow-ups and no one claims to have volunteered other sources. I had already silently sent an e-mail pointing to the GreenHybrid database with a suggestion that here is a place to find out what regular folks have been getting.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-17-2008, 04:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Exhibit: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...d-today-18188/

Then, I was following a Camry wagon who was gliding fast down hills and slowing down on the inclines by 20% under the limit. This was annoying me because this inconsistency on city streets is like declaring that the driver doesn't know how to control their vehicle appropriately.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:58 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by spinner

Then, I was following a Camry wagon who was gliding fast down hills and slowing down on the inclines by 20% under the limit. This was annoying me because this inconsistency on city streets is like declaring that the driver doesn't know how to control their vehicle appropriately.
This pattern is worse because it implies the driver doesn't want to be passed. Typically the passing zone on two lane roads is downgrade and the upgrade sections are non-passing because the hill is blind. When someone slows up on the climbing part and then speeds up on the passing zone, it looks like a deliberate attempt to bottle up traffic.

Bob Wilson