Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

China's BYD leapfrogs GM, Toyota with road-ready plug-in hybrid car

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default China's BYD leapfrogs GM, Toyota with road-ready plug-in hybrid car

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...socialcomments

Battery maker turned car company BYD Co. has launched China's first homegrown hybrid vehicle for the retail market, seeking an edge over its crisis-stricken international rivals.

BYD presented the vehicle, known as the F3DM, in a ceremony in the southern city of Shenzhen, where local officials have pledged to buy some of the cars in support of the project.

The vehicle can run up to 100 kilometres on its electric engine, and when it runs low on power shifts to a back up gasoline engine. Its battery can fully charge in nine hours from a regular electrical outlet, or much faster at BYD's own charging stations, the company said in a statement.

The car will sell for 149,800 yuan ($27,000 Cdn), about the same as many Chinese-made mid-sized cars, it said.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: China's BYD leapfrogs GM, Toyota with road-ready plug-in hybrid car

Good find. Just I remain a little reserved about quality. Some of the stuff I've gotten on Ebay and an E-bike charger have not impressed me.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Witch w/ sense of humor

Ditto. Like, will we get lead poisoning from running our hands across the car's paint? Will we get poisoned from plastic outgassing?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

I saw this story on the news about BYD is set to trump all others. Not really a surprise but the more competition the better. Personally I would buy them after they show some reliability, I mean I view Ford & GM as also trying to prove themselves to be reliable at this point.