Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

CARB blinks . . . in reality sunshine

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 04:34 AM
Engineering first
Default CARB blinks . . . in reality sunshine

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...QKj9QD8VMD3C04

California Lowers Auto Emissions Rule

By SAMANTHA YOUNG – 1 day ago

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California regulators have drastically cut the number of zero-emission vehicles required to be sold in the state by the year 2014, a decision that frustrated environmentalists but came as a relief to auto manufacturers.

The rules adopted Thursday put the number of electric and hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles that automakers sell in California at 7,500 by 2014 — a 70 percent reduction from the 2003 target.
. . .
The decision is expected to affect 12 other states that had adopted California's target for zero-emission vehicles.

In essence, the air board took two steps: It cut the number of zero-emission vehicles it wants on state's roads, while at the same time offering an alternative: the gas-electric hybrids.

The air board said the six largest automakers must sell nearly 60,000 plug-in hybrid vehicles in California while they develop the more advanced technology that will allow mass production of pure zero-emission vehicles.
. . .
Hopefully this begins the process of retiring the wasted fool cell efforts. What counts is getting fuel efficient vehicles on the road and direct hydrogen remains impractical.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-29-2008, 06:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CARB blinks . . . in reality sunshine

Thanks for the article Bob. I started a thread to tell people how to contact CARB and the governor, but no one took much interest. Now it's too late and CARB has once again watered down the EV mandate.

The new low numbers require each automaker to produce around 300 ZEVs between 2012 and 2014. This is nothing for those big companies. They will simply pull 300 cars off the line and put electric drive trains in them. This will result in very expensive EVs.

Hopefully, as gas prices rise and consumer preferences shift, there won't be a need for this mandate and car companies will produce more EVs on their own.

The good thing about the changes is that automakers will begin producing PHEVs (Plug in hybirds), which will further develop EV technology and hopefully bring EV prices down.

I am upset that CARB did this. California needs to lead a positive example. California is the only state that can change the emissions standards. Other states have the option to follow California or federal standards.

For more information, visit us over at http://www.pluginamerica.org

Last edited by giantquesadilla; 03-29-2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Old Boomer Techie

IMO, CARB has a long, long, l-o-n-g history of rolling over for big oil, the big 3 and just about anyone else that has the money to buy them.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:50 PM

I know. It's really too bad. They should be concerned about the environment, not corporate CEO's wallets.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Dang! Between the few of us, WE could build 7500 EV's by 2014!

I agree that this is pointless.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:50 PM

If anyone still wants to help, it's not too late. http://www.pluginamerica.org has some great info on plug ins, and actions you can take to help EVs and PHEVs. I have recently started to help them improve their website, and would appreciate any suggestions/comments. None of my work has actually been posted (as of 3-30-08), because it still needs to be improved. I will forward any comments to the other webmasters as well.