Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Canadians, sensible people

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Engineering first
Default Canadians, sensible people

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/293328

Hybrid vehicle sales in rapid ascent TheStar.com - Business - Hybrid vehicle sales in rapid ascent
Sales jump 60 per cent as gas prices shoot up, gap in prices narrows and selection expands
January 12, 2008
Tony Van Alphen
Business Reporter

Hybrid auto sales jumped last year in Canada and analysts say they should soar again in 2008.

Statistics from the automakers show sales of hybrid cars and trucks rose more than 60 per cent to 13,971 last year from 2006.
. . .
"Hybrid sales will continue to increase strongly," said Chris Travell, vice-president at Maritz Automotive Research.

Environmental reasons spurred initial hybrid sales of less than a 1,000 a year in 2004, but fuel economy is becoming a big reason for their increasing popularity as gasoline prices climb above a $1 a litre with no sign of slowing down.

Maritz data indicate that fuel economy is the third most important factor in an auto purchase decision, while the environment ranks number 23.
. . .
We're about to hear a bunch of cr*p about Green-this and Green-that. I'm not about to criticize anyone else's reasons for buying a hybrid but I hate the implicit "green wash." The propaganda that has truly poisoned a lot of minds.

Recently, I bought a muzzle loader and signed up for access to the Redstone auto-shop. Both have brought me into contact with a community I ordinarily don't deal with yet members of both communities have popped off with anti-environmental nonsense. Now I have no commitment to giving them a clue so I always answer with my vanity plate, "C52MPG." They know my green is in my wallet and the hybrid helps me keep it there.

I have no problem with Green-oriented folks advocating hybrids. I have no problem with quality-ride folks who also like hybrids. Just I get tired of dealing with those who parrot anti-environmental nonsense when my hybrid is meeting other goals and objectives.

Bob Wilson