Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Camry Hybrid Production in Kentucky

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Engineering first
Wink Camry Hybrid Production in Kentucky

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...12/024914.html

October 12, 2006 – Georgetown, KY - Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky, Inc. (TMMK) celebrated the production launch of the Camry Hybrid today – Toyota's first hybrid vehicle produced in North America.
Yippiee!

Bob Wilson

Old 10-12-2006, 04:53 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry Hybrid Production in Kentucky

Excellent, now all we need is that bill to pass where hybrids produced in the US gets more federal tax credit (on top of the current hybrid credit).

[edit - fixed link]

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.4458.IH:

Last edited by occ; 10-13-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:34 AM

I would like a factory tour.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Do I gather that you need coaxing to buy a US product?

Originally Posted by occ
Excellent, now all we need is that bill to pass where hybrids produced in the US gets more federal tax credit (on top of the current hybrid credit).

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query...p/~c109pQmFjp::

Old 10-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Camry Hybrid Production in Kentucky

Excellent idea!
Originally Posted by Tochatihu
I would like a factory tour.
Perhaps we can work up some sort of hybrid gathering and coordinate a factory tour and mileage rally?

This is not too far from Huntsville either!

YIPPIEE!!! Road Trip!!!

Anyone who wants to work on this with me, please contact me via message or e-mail. I'll need to know how close you are to Georgtown KY (aka., Lexington, KY), a brief introduction and what sort of task you feel comfortable taking on:

1) coordination with plant - myself also:

http://www.toyotageorgetown.com/tour.asp

2) location of event, aka. hotel/motel/park - ??
3) mapping road rally and route, laying out route and rules - ??
4) sponsors - ??
5) communications - ??
6) program, aka., papers, booths, presentations - ??

If we get enough volunteers, I'll start a posting in Events and we'll coordinate from there. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can contact the plant about a group tour and/or open house. For planning purposes, I'd like to recommend the weekend following the 2007 Tour de Sol, probably May 25-27, 2007.

Comments? Suggestions?

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 10-13-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by occ

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query...p/~c109pQmFjp::
Your link seems to be broken, occ. What bill was that? Who sponsored it? What was in it? Should we start a letter-writing campaign?

Old 10-13-2006, 10:26 AM
occ

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Your link seems to be broken, occ. What bill was that? Who sponsored it? What was in it? Should we start a letter-writing campaign?
Opps...appologized, I didnt test out the link before posting...

Here's the right one (I'll edit the previous post as well)

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.4458.IH:

I would contribuite to a letter writing campaign...we will probably be in the market for another car in about 2yrs (my est. of when our other gas car will die) just for my commute, and it will be a high FE vehicle....whether just a small regular gas subcompact, or better yet, another hybrid if economics allows it! And I would love to get into the TCH a few years from now!

Last edited by occ; 10-13-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:29 AM
occ

Originally Posted by Paulgw
Do I gather that you need coaxing to buy a US product?

Heh heh...yup...Made in USA, has the Toyota Brand, AND it's a hybrid! What's more can one ask.?? oh yeah, another tax credit.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ah. I see it now. Um, there's a problem, however. Two problems, really. One- that bill was introduced in 2005. It hasn't even been discussed in committee. That effectively means it's dead. Two- it was introduced by a Democrat (Rahm Emanuel of Illinois- a good guy, very hybrid friendly), so unless Congress changes hands in November, the bill doesn't have a chance in the world of passing. Not given the way Hastert runs the House-- it would pretty much go against his rules. Now, if it had so much as one environmentally responsible Republican cosponsor, there'd be a slim chance... but frankly, I'm thinking we'd better hold off on that letter-writing campaign until the Democrats retake the House.

Thanks for the link to the bill, though- it's interesting to get a sense of the ideas floating around Washington, because given the right political circumstances, we might hear them again later.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:32 AM

Re: the plant tour: I am now near Toledo OH but probably will be somewhere else next May. Sooner might be better for me. If we went *soon* we could see some fall foliage.

It would be fun to plan a road course but we would need to coordinate with someone local for the route choice. I can make (another) profile map. Could make presentation on several topics but the classic Prius is *such old news* now! Does the Camry hybrid use the 'double planetary' drivetrain like the Highlander & Lexus?

DAS

Quick Reply: Camry Hybrid Production in Kentucky

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands