Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

BMW's "hybrid"

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default BMW's "hybrid"

The April issue of C&D had an interesting article on what BMW is up to - interesting alternative to electric motors.

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/...id-option.html

Old 04-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Banned
Default It's The Turbosteamer

Tim,

That was the most informative article on BMW's turbosteamer since the initial articles.

Each hybrid system has it's advantages and drawbacks. The HSD is great in stop-and-go traffic, the IMA does better in highway traffic, the Turbosteamer may do better yet. The article quote that got my eye is the Turbosteamer got a 20% improvement in fuel economy cruising at 75mph.

I've been in discussion on the Turbosteamer and the detractors point out the complexity and the high pressure as drawbacks. The best thing that could happen for this technology is the development of a very strong, yet lighweight engine block to contain the steam pressures.

My dream car could be a "tribrid" - either and HCCI gas/electric powerplant or a diesel/electric powerplant. It would use waste heat for a turbosteamer. You might surmise I'm not afraid of complexity.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: BMW's "hybrid"

I wouldn't call the turbosteamer a hybrid. While the steamer seems like a cool idea it falls in line with an engine improvement like a regular exaust powered turbo.

Old 04-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Tim
The April issue of C&D had an interesting article on what BMW is up to - interesting alternative to electric motors. . . .
An interesting problem is adding the extra heat exchangers. Even secondary engines have heat that must be dumped. I like the secondary, high temperature engine but the third sounds marginal. Still, I wish them well.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: It's The Turbosteamer

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer

My dream car could be a "tribrid" - either and HCCI gas/electric powerplant or a diesel/electric powerplant. It would use waste heat for a turbosteamer. You might surmise I'm not afraid of complexity.
All three would be quite complementary -- the steamer would help during steady at-speed cruising, not so much during acceleration (it might actually cause a slight lag effect), while the hybrid pack could then offer assistance during acceleration (which might be needed with all the extra weight...).

Old 04-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Interesting how Goschel delights in pointing out the benefits of his system over the traditional hybrid system..... considering those are currently working in cars and his is still on the drawing boards. Seems to me that the best system is the one that is working now.I do wish him well and hope it works, but I'm not big on his Euro-smugness attitude, when he has nothing currently offered in the market (diesel's aside) to show for their efforts.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I notice that the article claims European manufacturers are extremely backwards when it comes to hybrid tech.

Audi had the Duo hybrid on public roads as far back as 1989 and (tried) to sell TDi hybrids to the public almost 10 years ago (1997). (Some history of the Duo here )

It's not that the Euro manufacturers are behind in the tech, it's just that because there are so many 50mpg+ diesels over here for not so much money, people just end up buying diesels instead. Supply and demand....