Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Batteries - strategic resource

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Engineering first
Default Batteries - strategic resource

We've spent nearly two decades deconstructing our manufacturing base. So I agree with the intent:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122957206516817419.html

By REBECCA SMITH

Fourteen U.S. technology companies are joining forces and seeking $1 billion in federal aid to build a plant to make advanced batteries for electric cars, in a bid to catch up to Asian rivals that are far ahead of the U.S.
. . .
Many experts believe battery technology and manufacturing capacity could become as strategically important as oil is today. Auto makers, including General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co., say they plan to roll out plug-in electric cars by 2010. But the U.S. has limited capacity to make the lithium-ion batteries those cars will need. Asian producers such as Panasonic Corp. dominate the car-battery field.

Federal energy laboratories, including the Argonne National Lab, are advising the alliance, and more companies are expected to join. Together, the consortium members estimate the plan to build the first large-scale lithium-ion battery plant in the U.S. could cost $1 billion to $2 billion.

Experts say the plan faces several hurdles, including its high cost and the fact the U.S. has lost the lead in battery manufacturing.
. . .

But the consortium faces obstacles. Several national labs and U.S. companies including 3M and General Electric Co. have been pursuing advanced battery technology for years. But researchers have been dismayed that the technology and processes they develop appear to be migrating largely outside the U.S. Battery manufacturing has moved to Asia . . .
I'm not a great fan of LiON batteries, I think they have been 'over-sold.' There is data that with significant environmental housing and management, they can be tamed. However, I agree with the intent.

Bob Wilson