Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New 2006 FEH in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default New 2006 FEH in Michigan

Hello all!

My name is Rich, I'm a 25 year old Fencing Instructor (And also a senior at the University of Michigan), who today, got his 2006 4WD Dark Shadow Gray Ford Escape Hybrid. I had ordered in May, since there wasn't a hybrid with what I wanted in stock, and put in an order. As a twist of fate, I got a 2006 rather than an '05. (And darn fast too!)

I've got all the add on stuff from the '05 except leather (ugh) and rear floor mats. So far, it seems I've finally got everything figured out. I have to say, that Audio/Nav system is the greatest invention ever. My prior vehicle, and trade in was an '95 Explorer Sport, so I'm also blown away by some of the stuff that's standard feature.

In March, I started having multiple problems with the Explorer, and with my financial situation being rather good, and being A plan, the decision was made to get a new car. Initially I was going to go with an Escape, but after doing the research, and reading the pro's/cons, and general information mostly here among other places (like the vehicle guides), I went with the hybrid. I figure, since I drive mostly long commutes (45 miles one way), in a variety of conditions, and stop and go on weekends, I'm probably going to save around $800 a year on gas. Not to mention, be rather cool at the same time. I test drove one and fell in love on the spot.

So, hello! Thanks for helping me chose my vehicle. I don't know how much I'll have to say, since I'm not really a car guy, but I'll be posting!

Old 06-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: New 2006 FEH in Michigan

Almost an hour and no welcomes yet? We should be ashamed!
Welcome to GreenHybrid!

P.S. I saw in your profile when you registered that you are a fencing instructor. Always interesting to see the occupations of our members. That's got to be one of the most unusual. How did you start that, initially?

Old 06-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Enthusiast

Welcome Pravis!

My wife and I have been looking for an Escape Hybrid for a few weeks... Can you summarize the differences between the 06 and 05 models?

tdmsu (you may not care for my nickname, based on your location )

Old 06-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Contributor ($)

Pravus Prime,
You ordered it in May and got it June 1. Wow! That does seem pretty fast. And it sounds pretty decked out. Congrats!

Old 06-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Okay, in order they were asked:

My father was a fencing instructor, I started at age 5. By fifteen I was state champ, and at 17 I was internationally ranked (Low, but still ranked.) I 'retired' not long after that, burnt out on competing and the way competitions were run. I went into directing and coaching, and was offered and offered to teach fencing programs at various places. (St. Clair, Macomb Community College, etc.)

LOL, I have no animosity towards State people. Honestly, I'm a bit hesitant to list any differences I noticed; they could just be tricks of my mind between a test drive for an hour a month ago, and my own vehicle today. There's not much that leaps out to me as different between the two model years. The interior seems the same, comparing it to the brochure for the '05, except the 110volt AC and the power point next to it are different pictures and labels. I can't tell on the Audio/Nav system; the one I test drove didn't have it. (And I'll add I'm still blown away by it.) The other thing I'm pretty sure (But not certain of) was that there was more "red" dials in the '05. (Stuff that requires the ICE), Full blower in mine isn't red. I think the steering wheel is different, with a special easy handle area on the sides of the wheel. I think the exterior color is a bit different, but once again, I'm not sure. I've been told the key fob is different, and I really do have a chip key, but I don't know that for certain.

I think I was the most surprised about getting it so fast. After I test drove it, did more research (reading some of the guides you have on this site really helped out, as did reading through the forum), talking it over with the family, I decided to get one. I listed what I wanted, and they didn't have one with all I wanted and without leather. I was told that if I put an order in, I'd get it come late June, early July. So, fine with that, I went ahead and did it. I was told at the time they couldn't tell for sure which model year I'd get, '05 or '06, and I'd have to wait for an allocation. No problem. Then suddenly, I get the call that it'll be produced at the end of the month, and it's on '06! I read about the new stuff on the '06, including black, and I called to change it from Dark Shadow Gray to black. Unfortunately, I didn't make the call in time for the system to accept the change. I had to actually scramble to get the money ready, and today got it. (Having it, I'm rather glad I got the Dark Shadow Gray rather than the Black. It's a classy color, looks good, and is unique.)

I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it. Though already I've had a blast with it. My father is worried that I may get into a wreck because I keep playing with the Audio/Nav system while I'm driving. Though, I think I'm getting more and more used to it, and now that the initial 'Gotta try it all!' phase has passed, and I know how to work everything (I think), I'm sure I'll pay more attention to the road.

Even though it's brand new, and I know it takes a while for a break in, I was amazed at how well everything was working. Coming home from the post office, I was able to go 8+ miles and get up to 25 mph without using the ICE! (Not even to charge the battery. Stop and go did a nice job of that.) I also found it rather funny that I had the blowers on, and they were making more noise than the car itself.

After doing all the research, and reading the board and the comments, I was more informed on the hybrid than the salesperson in a lot of the areas. I don't claim to be an expert or anything, but it seems that most of the "truth" about the hybrid isn't real well known. (Stuff like the break in period, how cool the A/N system is, that I can't get the A/N system and the Mach 5 Audio, etc.)

Thanks again, and I really do feel lucky! (I guess I was meant to have it!) As an aside, my grandfather had asked me to sit in the new Mustang and let him know how it was. After I picked up the FEH, I drove around and parked, and my salesperson was waiting with the keys to a Mustang. While it's cool and all, I couldn't shake the feeling I was in an escape pod or something! It's just so cramped, with a sliver of visability.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

Welcome!!

I've had my 2005 FEH for six months. I loved it to start, but some of the quirkyness and break-in annoyed me. I am still not in love with the CVT (I am a MT type), but it has grown on me. Now, I love driving it. It is more of a challenge than my HCH. I would've loved to have an A/N system, but, alas, it wasn't available at that time. Maybe next time...

Old 06-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

One thing I forgot:

I did notice, it seems that even though I don't have the appearance package, I don't have a monochromatic vehicle. It's Dark Shadow Gray, and a very dark gray, like it does have the package (Bumpers and on the lower sides), but it's not very pronounced.