Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Hi there

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Diesel driver
Default Hi there

I was referred here by another smart car owner (HornHonker), who thought I should join up and post my detailed fuel economy records here for comparative purposes. And I will do just that right now!

Cheers

Old 05-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Default Re: Hi there

Great! Always good to have diversity. You have a diesel right?

Old 05-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Diesel driver

Correct. The smart cdi has a 799 cc common-rail (20,000 psi in the rail) turbo-diesel with intercooler, and an oxidation catalyst to virtually eliminate the few particulates that the engine creates.

The main benefit of the cdi is its extremely low carbon dioxide output, about 100 g per km in my experience - based upon actual fuel consumption (and improving with age). I also look forward to running the car on bio-diesel once we get commercial producers here and Mercedes-Benz Canada sanctions it. I would imagine I'd use B10 or B20 to start.

The greatest things about the smart though is its comfort, style and (in my case) the full convertible roof! This is a brilliant little car. Shame M-B USA doesn't want to sell them.

I have been averaging better than the official Transport Canada highway rating over the last five tanks, even though the highways I normally use have stoplights, and I use it a fair bit for short-ish trips.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:23 PM

Most of the efficiency tips here also relate to regular cars so if you are doing well now try applying some of the tips and amaze your friends. Then when they see you doing so well in your car they might actualy believe the numbers they see on this site for our cars.

I bet you will get another 5 to 10 mpg. I think the first company that comes out with a clean burning hybrid diesel will make a lot of money. Until then its kind of one or the other.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Diesel driver

Thanks; I will read the tips over. I'm not sure if another 10 US MPG is in there, but maybe a few...

Old 05-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Site Founder

Welcome, Mike, and make yourself at home.

Old 05-23-2005, 04:59 AM
Contributor ($)

MikeT,
I like your avatar picture. Very unique. Welcome aboard.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Diesel driver

Thanks Eric! I looked at the Insight in 2000 but delayed my decision so long that we ended up with a smart. Both are odd choices for me since there are 5 in my family There are quite a few Insights around here on Vancouver Island, but even more smarts.

I've got to work on getting my MPG average up to your level, in the mid-60s US (say 3.5 L/100 km). I'm averaging around there now, but the break-in period for the car is now over and that time dragged the average down....

Cheers