Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Heavy Fords won't go hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 08:08 AM
Site Founder

It was a great moment for Bill Ford Jr.

The self-described environmentalist finally had a product to match his ideals with the launch at the New York International Auto Show of the hybrid Escape, a small sport utility vehicle that got more than 38 miles per gallon in downtown Manhattan earlier this month.

Ford proudly proclaimed that his company was at the forefront of the hybrid movement and called it "the first automaker to provide customers a unique proposition — no compromises.

But Ford officials say it will be a stretch to combine roaring horsepower with environmental stewardship when it comes to building hybrids of its Louisville-built trucks.

View entire article here.

Old 04-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

ahem. "the first automaker to provide customers a unique proposition -- no comprimises." what the heck, helo mr. ford, did you forget about the highlander hybrid, made by the same company that you are licensing your technology from?

Old 04-18-2004, 04:21 PM

Hi Stevo12886:

___The Ford F150 has been available in a ULEV format for 2 years now. The PZEV based Focus has been available for 2 and the Escape HEV is going to be a PZEV as well … The Highlander Hybrid is supposedly a SULEV meaning Toyota didn’t spend the extra few dollars to seal up the tank, intake, and vapor recovery system … Look across the model line at the Green drivers Ford is heading towards. Then look at the Toyota Sequoia and Land Cruiser by comparison I don’t think Ford has a vehicle including the Excursion that pollutes as much as those two … YUCK!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 04-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Site Founder

Now, how's that for unbiased!

Old 04-18-2004, 04:38 PM

Hi Jason:

___You mean about my ULEV rated 03 Corolla LE w/ Auto (top 10 pick by Green Vehicle guide last year) or my LEV rated 03 Ford Ranger XLT 5-speed (#1 pick of all P/U’s by the Green Vehicle guide last year as well)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 04-18-2004, 07:45 PM

<---- very bias, hates the big three