Windshield chip

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Windshield chip

Can anyone help me?

Today heading home from work I was passing a truck with a trailer (construction type) and he hit a pothole and showered my car with rocks. I got a couple of chips in the paint which I can handle with touch-up paint but I have a good size chip in my windshield right in my view. Does anyone have a suggestions on how to fix this (epoxies and such).

The truck had no lables on it so I couldn't call the owners. They should have a strict laws for contruction vehicles. In the winter, I have to watch out for sanding trucks because they shoot the sand (salt chunks and some rocks) out of the back at a fast and hard rate. Its a shame.

Thanks

Last edited by RIHCH; 07-18-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Windshield chip

If the rocks came up from the road, you can not fault the truck/trailer. If they fell off the truck and you could stop them, then they are liable. I had this happen one time and was able to get the tractor trailer truck to stop. He nearly hit me in rear as I was stopping in front of him on side of interstate. did get windshield replaced with some trouble. Had to threaten owner who was not driving with court, but he took care of it.
As for repair, if it is a star crack, they can sometimes be repaired. Check with your local auto glass company or ask someone at a dealership for the name of one of the glass repairmen. The dealerships have regular vendors that come around and do minor paint/chip repair to the cars. In South Carolina there is a no deductable clause in our coverage and the windshield will be replaced for nothing. Not sure about other states.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks DTDRIVER
The rocks came from the truck and traler. When he hit the pothole, a big cloud of dirt and rocks flew off of it. At the time, I did a quick check of the windshield as a I was driving and the spots where it hit looked like marks (dirt spots) not chips. When I got home I washed down the windshield and removed the marks and thats when I found the chip. It's more of a bullseye chip with no cracks (maybe I was fortunate ). In RI we don't have that deduction clause (they have it next door in MA) so any repairs will be out of pocket (I have a $500.00 deductable insurance). This happened to my last vehicle and the windshield with labor came to $485.00 which did me no good.

I can useally predict these things before they happen (I drive the same roads every day) and could of avoided it (I never stay close to trucks on the road) but I had too much on my mind today and just wanted to get home.

thanks again for the help

Last edited by RIHCH; 07-18-2005 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:09 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Your story sounds identical to mine. When my '03 HCH was 2 months old I had the same happen.

The truck DID have identification. I got it, when I was getting him to pull over he did a fake exit. I was boxed in the exit lane when he got back onto the interstate. I had to exit, it took a minute to go back onto the interstate. This was the first I ever got my HCH over 100 MPH. He got away. I called the company and got a total run around. I ended up having my insurance fix it. In Florida there is no deductable on glass.

Good luck.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:55 PM
World's First Hybrid

I feel your pain. With under 1,000 miles on my 05 HCH, got hit with a couple of good sized rocks that caused some windshield chips and then got another ding from a door banger and a couple more dings on the hood of all places. Couldn't figure out how those happened. Oh well, probably won't get any more for the life of the car...until I get the old ones fixed (;-)