What will happen to my IMA battery if I dun drive for more than a month?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default What will happen to my IMA battery if I dun drive for more than a month?

Hello

Today when opened teh hood of my HCH I saw a sticker that says I should drive my car at least once a month else my IMA NiMH batteries might get permenantly damaged. Right now I'm kinda worried since during the winter I remember I haven't drived my car for a little over a month.

I was wondering if anyone's familiar with NiMH batteries especially with the HCH's IMA ones that can tell me what will happened to them if I dun drive my car for more than a month? If possible or not still many thanks in advance.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What will happen to my IMA battery if I dun drive for more than a month?

The IMA NiMH batteries do drain themselves. It's not a big deal though as all you have to do is start the car and hold the throtle at around 2000 rpm and 3 or 4 bars of charge will indicate charge. The main battery will recharge quickly and your done. Don't forget to open the garage door before you start

Old 08-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What will happen to my IMA battery if I dun drive for more than a month?

Based on things I've read on the interweb (so you know they are true), it is a good idea to start your car at least once a month and run it for a while. I seem to recall someone who posted here about a battery failure that happened in a car that was driven very infrequently.

I understand that NiMH batteries don't like to be fully drained, which is what will happen with time if you don't drive. I don't know how long it would take for a failure to occur, it's not worth messing around with when all it takes is a drive around the neighborhood every month to prevent this kind of battery strain.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys, at least i'm more relief it's not as serious as i expected. Think it's time for me to stop letting it rot in my garage, lol.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have left my 2006 parked on two occasions while on winter vacation for two mths. unattended and the battery level was the same when I returned.Hal

Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Enthusiast

I notice the same thing happened to my car too when I left it unused for over a month and the battery gauage was still the same. I read somewhere online NiMH batter only gets damage if they get overcharged or when the battery level drops below zero %, looks like our cars are fine