Looking for SIMPLE stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Looking for SIMPLE stereo upgrade

I have been listening to music more in my 04 HCH and wondering what simple improvements I could make to the stereo. I am not really interested in replacing the deck (though I would love to see time and track info WTF?). I was thinking about upgrading the speakers. There don't seem to be many available in the size and configuration for this car, but I wonder how good the stock ones are compared to say a $100 pair of name brand speakers.

Anyone made any simple changes like new speakers or have any other ideas?

My prejudice against a new deck lies in two major issues. First is theft. I really don't want my car to get broken into for the stereo, and I don't have the interest or patience for detachable faces and such. Secondly, whenever I go to look at aftermarket stereo decks I am bewildered by the outrageously complicated and absolutely incomprehensible design of modern car stereos. I don't want a space ship console or animated graphics or any of that useless crap. I don't want menus, touch scrollers, and bleeping pushbuttons. I am shocked by my complete inability to find a stereo with simple controls. I would like a little better sound and MP3 capability but it's not worth it if I have to operate it like a video game. What's wrong with ***** anyway? They're easy to use.

So for me it's going to be something manageable like new speakers, some other simple change, or perhaps making do with what's in there. I am mostly interested to hear from folks who have made simple changes with success. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:21 AM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: Looking for SIMPLE stereo upgrade

Hi Zimbop. I was thinking the same thing about a speaker upgrade and posted the question on how to remove the rear speakers sometime ago with no response. Many a time I've gone and done something on the interior without first knowing what I'm actually doing and tore something up. I don't want to do that with my HCH since I plan on running it until the wheels fall off (might be sooner than I think if it continues to rust )

Now that I added a sat. radio (exterior unit) I just want decent speakers to listen to it better/clearer.

I'd think anything would be an upgrade over the stock speakers.

Last edited by rigger; 02-19-2006 at 03:07 PM. Reason: my spelling made look like the smartest kid with Downs syndrome
Old 02-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

A new set of speakers and an amp would make a huge difference.

In my '04, I added a Bazooka tube which gave me nice low end response, they were wired to the rear speakers, so I know they're accessible. On a side note, the Bazooka tube I had installed looked like a NOS bottle....definitely a conversation piece in a Hybrid vehicle.

Old 02-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Shopping around, namely at crutchfield, looks like nearly all the speakers that "fit" require adaptors and drilling.

So... those of you who have replace speakers, are there any "drop-in" replacements?

Old 02-19-2006, 02:27 PM

No. I don't believe there are any drop-in replacements. For one the magnet of the stock speaker is small and takes up very little space. You will definatly need a spacer so speakers with larger magnets will not hit the windows when they roll down.

I'm not sure about the drilling thing.