Hybrid civic 2007 huge vibration accelerating from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2024, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Hybrid civic 2007 huge vibration accelerating from a stop

Hello , I own a Honda Civic 1.3L Hybrid 2007 with 178k KM and I feel a huge vibration when accelerating from a stop.
What have I done:

- changed the spark plugs
- changed all motor and transmission mounts
- changed both cv axles and the half shaft bearing

Can you please help me diagnose and find a solution as my country doesn't have too many japanese/honda experts.

Thank you in advance!

Old 07-19-2024, 10:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid civic 2007 huge vibration accelerating from a stop

It was a much larger problem with the 03-05 Civic Hybrid CVT, but what you may be describing is "judder" where the start clutch in the CVT slips and catches.

This is a post on a forum for the Honda Insight CVT:

https://www.insightcentral.net/threa...uccess.127922/

Old 07-19-2024, 11:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you a lot. The mechanic whom worked on my car is a friend of mine so when he was working on it i stay there watching. When we changed the driver side cv axle transmission fluid came out a lot by mistake. We cached it and it was a red into pink color. Does that mean that i don't need to change the cvt oil? Will the procedure you linked help if I don't need to change my CVT oil?

Ps. The car only judders on initial acceleration, after that judder you can step on the gas as much as u want and it will work perfectly fine.

Last edited by Honda8hybrid; 07-20-2024 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2024, 10:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Honda8hybrid
Thank you a lot. The mechanic whom worked on my car is a friend of mine so when he was working on it i stay there watching. When we changed the driver side cv axle transmission fluid came out a lot by mistake. We cached it and it was a red into pink color. Does that mean that i don't need to change the cvt oil? Will the procedure you linked help if I don't need to change my CVT oil?
You need to change your CVT fluid with genuine Honda CVT fluid every 10-15K miles. It is the ONLY means of maximizing CVT life.The CVT is not robust and fluid changes are needed to prevent premature failure and performance issues. If it hasn't been done before, you need to do a "flush" that entails 3X fill/drains. Do a change, drive it until fluid is wam, do a change, drive it until fluid is warm, do a change. After that, change every 10-15K miles. I chose to do it every other oil change.

The CVT holds about 8qt of fluid, but only 3qt is replaced in a change. The three changes ensure the vast majority of the old fluid is gone.

Ps. The car only judders on initial acceleration, after that judder you can step on the gas as much as u want and it will work perfectly fine.
This is exactly when "judder" occurs during slip of the startup clutch. Recommend you try the burnishing procedure.