Fellow Greenheads...Cha Cha Changes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Fellow Greenheads...Cha Cha Changes?

Hello all,
My wife and I purchased a 2005 HCH this past week. Magnesium Metallic with CVT. (and yes we play the "mileage" game already) It's got a whopping 203 miles on the odometer. We're a big Honda family. We have a 2000 CRV SE (big fans of HONDASUV.COM), and a 93 Honda Accord which is soon to be in the possession of some friends of ours. This is my first NEW car in all my 53 years on the planet.

Well, I'm wondering as a new owner, if you guys (and gals) who have been livin' the dream for awhile, have any suggestions for a new owner. Things that you might have done differently now that you've had your hybrid for some time.

I know there's conflicting opinions on the 1st oil change, tire pressure, oil viscosity (darn Mobil 1 for dropping 0w20! ) and other items. I'm just curious if people have words of wisdom for a new owner.

This vehicle will be driven around town, occasional highway trips, but mainly 3 - 10 mile jaunts. We purchased the Honda 7 year/100,000k extended warranty. I'm usually not a big extended warranty kind of guy, but the saleman did a good job of painting a black picture if the hybrid system goes down....oh well, peace of mind for the wife.

I look forward to this site growing...thanks for any comments.
Wangofree

Old 04-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fellow Greenheads...Cha Cha Changes?

Welcome to the site and congratulations!!

Words of wisdom . I don't have many still being new at this myself, but I wanted to say welcome for sure.

The biggest hits to my MPG that I see are stop and go traffic (even if the auto stop works), cold days with short drives, and being late. Raising the tire pressure really does help, but I suggest raising it in steps so you can get the feel of higher pressure and watch the effect on your MPG.

Reading all you can on this site is also important. There are some great tips on here and I seem to learn more everytime I log in.

Again congratulations and I hope your car does well for both of you.

Billy

Old 04-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fellow Greenheads...Cha Cha Changes?

[/QUOTE]
I know there's conflicting opinions on the 1st oil change, tire pressure, oil viscosity (darn Mobil 1 for dropping 0w20! ) and other items. I'm just curious if people have words of wisdom for a new owner.

This vehicle will be driven around town, occasional highway trips, but mainly 3 - 10 mile jaunts. We purchased the Honda 7 year/100,000k extended warranty. I'm usually not a big extended warranty kind of guy, but the saleman did a good job of painting a black picture if the hybrid system goes down....oh well, peace of mind for the wife.
I look forward to this site growing...thanks for any comments.
Wangofree[/QUOTE]

Congrats on your new Hybrid. It is pretty cool trying to get the most milage but don't do like most of us and keep looking at the FCD...lol keep them eyes on the road...lol
The Hybrid system is under warranty for 8 years 80,000 miles so I wasn't to worried about it when I bought mine. I do understand thou the piece of mind it does bring as I have an extended warranty for our other vehicle. As for Mobil dropping 0w-20 It really shouldn't matter unless you are in REALLY cold weather. I live where it's in the 90's half of the year and if you live in an area that doesn't get too cold the difference between 0w-20 and 5w-20 is minimal. Anybody else have thoughts on the oil issue? Kevin

Last edited by texashchman; 04-14-2005 at 08:23 PM.