Car lock feature

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast
Question Car lock feature

before I took delivery one of the sales guy showed me the car and a "car lock" feature that will not allow the car to start unless you swipe this little plastic/magnetic thing next to an indicator close to the key ignition area, just a little under to the right under the dash.

The finance guy "washed" my brain offering extended warranty, this package and this other one and that other one.....for which I said no to all but at the end he got me into buying this car lock "feature". About close to $6 a month on top of my car payment. I think I got screwed (even only at $6/month) because the thing was already installed and when I gave him the ok he instructed another sales guy to "go ahead and activate the car lock feature".

What the heck is this really? He said once approved by me I cannot cancel.

Did I get screwed and he lied to me? The thing was already there and installed, is it REALLY true that they had to activate it??

I'm in CT....I really hope there's a way to cancel if it's not worthy. He said the car lock company would give me $3,000 if my car was ever stolen.....

Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Car lock feature

I never heard of the "car lock feature".
Which dealership is this anyway? It sounds like they keep adding annoying little add-ons every time you talk to them.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

the name is actually 'Car Lok' and there's a little sticker on the driver's side window with a number : 888-car-lok-1 (888-227-5651).

I called this number yesterday and this morning and got just a message stating to leave a number and that someone will return my call.....sounds 'fishy' to me.......

Here are a couple pics...

Attached Thumbnails Car lock feature-picture-011-small.jpg   Car lock feature-picture-013-small.jpg  
Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Enthusiast

I found this info about them on the web:

6710 W Chicago St
Chandler, AZ 85226
(480) 961-5947

They don't even have a website.....

Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Enthusiast

well, this is my 2nd new car buying experience.

Where's the built-in immobilizer and how does it work?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast

Security System with Remote Entry and Power Trunk Release:
"The system immobilizes the engine’s fuel injection and ignition, and only a matching digital code in the ignition key can override it. When the driver puts the key into the ignition switch, the switch transmits a signal that reads the code in the key. If the key code agrees with the code in the powertrain control module (PCM), the engine starts."

Obviously the car has this already.

Right I'm just wondering if the above can be taken out or is it too late.....

Old 03-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes. The key has a little chip in it, exactly like the "Car Lok". If someone tries to start the car without the key, such as with a lock pick, the car will not start. The car will only start with a key with the specific chip in it.

Reminds me of a story where this lady's car wouldn't start after her baby had been chewing on her keys. When she put the baby next to the steering column and tried to start it, it worked. The child had eaten the immobilizer chip! :0

Old 10-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast

I have the same thing. Looking for another fob piece. Kinda a pain to do that, then start the car with the immobilzer key in a 2005 Honda Accord. I bought it cause it was the 2.2L V4. Now I got this to deal with. I think the prior owner bought every dealer option possible other than a "drive" home feature. tx for the post! Helped me a LOT.