Anyone own a HCH and a HAH? Comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone own a HCH and a HAH? Comparison?

I have a 2005 HAH and am considering getting a 2006 HCH early next year as a second car. I admit that I am spoiled by the available power in the HAH (OK, it's a "guy" thing), the fit/finish and materials of the interior and the roominess for family trips. I suspect that I'll miss that in the HCH, but the trade off is the price point (can't afford 2 new HAHs at the moment and for some reason it would feel strangely redundant to have 2 HAHs sitting in the driveway) and the extra fuel savings/lower emissions. Plus, I would love for both cars to be hybrids but I can't see myself driving a Prius (No offense P owners, I just can't get past the bubble shape and the space ship interior). The HAH is one of the best driving cars that I have owned and one thing that I really enjoy is the suspension. I love the 4 wheel double wishbone configuration and how it feels tight and nimble with adequate "road feel", but also very effectively irons out rough pavement, potholes, railroad tracks, etc. for a smooth ride (compared to our '98 Volvo V70 which will literally beat you to death and makes you wonder if one of the wheels is going to fly off).

Question is for anyone here that owns (or has frequently driven) both the HAH and a late model HCH. How would you compare the overall driving experience between the two, especially the suspension. Are they similar enough that I will most likely love to drive the HCH as much as I do the HAH (especially for single occupant urban commutes). I wouldn't want to take the plunge for a new HCH and end up having to flip a coin with my wife to determine who gets what car (the "fun" car) for the day?? Any real world comparisons from forum members that have both cars will be appreciated.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Default Re: Anyone own a HCH and a HAH? Comparison?

Well, the 06 civic is a redesign so no one realy has experience with it. To make a judgement on it based on the 7thgen civic would be just wrong. The 06 should be out shortly and I would recomened waiting for a test drive so you can see for yourself. The 06 is supposed to be only slightly smaller than the accord.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yeah... but the 06 has the 'spaceship' Prius-like Saturn-look design, so you may want the 05 if that's important to you.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I believe that if you do not like the Prius, then you will not like the 06 HCH. I have a 05 HCH, have driven many of them and driven one HAH 05 on an 80 mile trip. They are different cars. Less power, better mileage with HCH. HCH is a better car for local driving due to better local mileage. If I were on road all the time, I would sacrifice the small road mileage difference and go with the HAH if I could get a nice discount on price. Fit and finish is as good or better on the 05 HCH. Since I drive alone most of time and occasionally with my wife, there is no lack of room. I like seating better in the HCH. I did not even consider the HAH due to high cost and poor local mileage ratings. Also know that HAHs are not near as big sellers as the HCH. There are HAHs setting on lots in my area, but HCHs are moving fast, about all gone now. I am waiting and hoping that Honda comes out with a CRV hybrid on the four cylinder in 07.

Also, at least on the 05 HCH, expect to get around 39-40 mpg all around if you use air and drive conservatively. That is on CVT, 5 speed would be some better. Now there are those on here that say they are getting really high mileage, but I believe in real world figures, not exceptions.

Good luck!

Old 08-27-2005, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by DTDRIVER
Also, at least on the 05 HCH, expect to get around 39-40 mpg all around if you use air and drive conservatively. That is on CVT, 5 speed would be some better. Now there are those on here that say they are getting really high mileage, but I believe in real world figures, not exceptions.
You may think it's not the real world but clearly if you are careful and want the mileage, you can get it. We consistantly get 44-45 in the summer and a little over 50 in the winter. And we don't use the Econ button in the summer. But we do drive it for the mileage.

Old 08-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Agreed. Honestly, you have to really work to go as low as 40 MPG on the 2005 HCH. My first tank ever, with much AC usage, incessant speeding, and an unbroken engine, checked in at 40.5 MPG. Expect 45. Work for more.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

High mileage exception? I am talking about those that claim over 50 mpg.
I have driven around half a dozen HCH both CVT and automatics on 75-200 mile trips and only the 5 speeds got into the 40s. My experience is limited to new ones with less than 200 miles on them and on trips at speeds of around 70 or better. My CVT is now above 39 mpg with 4000 or so miles on it. Perhaps it will get better with more miles. People on here need to state if they are driving a 5 sp or CVT. There is a difference in mileage. I drive my car very easy and conservatively. I use air and keep my tires around 35PSI. I dont drive so as to have people honking at me. I dont go to extremes of high tire pressure, no air, coasting with engine off, etc.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It's a little misleading to base FE off of driving brand-new (200 miles or less) HCHs at speeds of greater than 70 MPH for the bulk of your study. Any HCH, stick or CVT, is going to put up comparatively poor numbers under those conditions. I'm with you in that I don't take extremes. I live in FL so I use my AC; when I drive on the highway I keep the speed of traffic. It's been my experience that driving an HCH which is broken in for several thousand miles and sticking to the speed limit is going to be good for at least 45 MPGs barring disastrous traffic or weather conditions during the tank. I know I don't speak for everyone, and I'm willing to admit that I'm paying more attention to tricks as I drive it more and more, but I wouldn't go near calling my habits extremist, and I've been able to beat EPA more tanks than not in my CVT.

Old 08-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't know, I got 45 without much effort when I first started and now get 48 typically. I use A/C intermittently.. I never sacrifice my comfort for mileage... but I don't leave it on 24-7 either.

And I travel with passengers often.

I don't think it is *hard* got get 45mpg on this car. I think it is hard to get 50+ on it.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2005, 02:25 PM

Hi DTDriver:
High mileage exception? I am talking about those that claim over 50 mpg …

I have driven around half a dozen HCH both CVT and automatics on 75-200 mile trips and only the 5 speeds got into the 40s. My experience is limited to new ones with less than 200 miles on them and on trips at speeds of around 70 or better. My CVT is now above 39 mpg with 4000 or so miles on it.
___Let me turn the tables a bit … how can you claim you only receive 39 mpg’s?

The HCH w/ a CVT is a darn nice hybrid to hypermile!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: Anyone own a HCH and a HAH? Comparison?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands