2004 HCH Owners!! Help Please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2004 HCH Owners!! Help Please?

I own a 2004 HCH and it is currently at 66k. I have been reading around different forums and websites and I've seen people claim to have 45-50 mpg per tank. My average mpg is usually 38 or 37. Is there anyway that i can increase my mpg? I coast as much a possible and I always watch my meters...thanks

Old 07-04-2008, 03:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2004 HCH Owners!! Help Please?

Drive as though you dont have any brakes, that is to anticipate a stoppage ahead to glide and recharge. No jack rabbit start. Interstate driving go no higher than 69 mpg Remember air filters and tire pressure. If you live in certain kinds of hilly areas it will be difficult to get 50mpg than again a long drive through rolling hills you may be able to. I have a manual transmiission and if one drives to say level land near the ocean like the Stsate of Delaware where it is level I usally get 54 mpg for the whole tank.Colder weather and winter fuel blends and getting engine up to temperatures will decrease mpg. If the car is mechanically correct usual factor contributing to low mpg is geography temperature and driver. Rain and the resistance it offers the vehicle will decrease mpg both in the air and especially if the roads have grooves in them with puddling.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Have you pumped your tires to the max. cold setting? If not ,try it! H

Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Well, a few factors can be at play in your case. Maybe you can fill as in on the missing details:

- Commute distances and durations
- Percent of city/hwy driving
- Tire inflation
- CVT or manual transmission
- etc.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

thanks guys...i definately know now that i should inflate my tires. to answer your question msantos my civic is a cvt, i do a lot of short distance driving to and from work and school. BTW how many miles do you guys drive before another fill up

Old 07-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

John, your mileage is not that bad for the type of short distance driving you do... and also the fact that it is a Gen 1 CVT model makes it almost OK.

Now with that said, there is still some room for FE improvement and depending on how far you are willing to go, you can certainly reach the high 40's and beyond like many owners of Gen 1 CVT Civics do.

Pressing up the tires is a must. To start, pump them up to (or a few psi below) their max pressure rating.

Beyond this, then you begin to enter the world of hypermiling. Techniques such as DWL and DWB are the "low hanging fruit" that will get you there.

Cheers

MSantos