Bike rack???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Bike rack???

Can you purchase the standard Accord bike rack for the hybrid model? I'm thinking (and hoping) that you can. Any experience with this?

Thanks,
Wes

Old 05-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Rarely post anything
Default Re: Bike rack???

You can. The roof rack makes for a worthwhile accessory, given our issue with the fixed rear seat. And as you know, Honda sells the bike & ski attachment kits for it.

That being said, while I'm in the market for one of these myself, I think I'm going to go with Thule, Yakima, or one of the other third-party mfg's. Reasons:

- Honda rates their rack at a maximum load of 82 (?) lbs (& two bikes)

- it's more expensive than the 3rd party systems (both the base rack and the attachment kits)

- the 3rd party systems carry more (some up to 200lbs or so),

- you can get 'rack systems' from the other manufacturers, that will, for example, let you use the rack for bike / ski / snowboard, etc, as well as a rooftop carrier - all hooking up to the base crossbar arrangement.

Some of the carriers are designed so that you can have that, *and* a bike / skis, loaded at the same time. Gives maximum utility / bang for the buck, IMO.