Anyone replaced the radio in the non-nav version?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Anyone replaced the radio in the non-nav version?

I'm not overly impressed with the radio and was considering purchasing a replacement through crutchfield.com.

They have a number of units that will fit, but there are two installation solutions for the vehicle: 1) use a Crutchfield kit (free with most stereos) that replaces the factory pocket in the dash; or 2) purchase an adapter that replaces the factory radio/climate control panel entirely. - Metra OEM Adapter $149.99.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2KktJwN...51&I=120997864

If anyone has replaced their radio I would appreciate hearing about your experience. The Adapter would work but takes the automatic capability away from the heating/cooling system.

Thanks

Old 12-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone replaced the radio in the non-nav version?

I can see that this will work in a non-hybrid, but am curious what effect, if any, replacing the factory audio unit will have on the ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) System that keeps the interior of the car quiet during 3-cylinder operation. Is ANC independent of the audio unit or is the ANC function integrated into it?

I also would not want to lose the independent climate control function.

Last edited by VMA131Marine; 12-07-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast

Great question! I didn't even consider the ANC as a part of the equation, but you bring up a good point. I've bought a new set of rear speakers (Polk DB690) and will start by replacing them. In the meantime I'll gather more info on the ANC issue.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

Here is some info I pulled on the Active Noise Cancellation:

"Speaking of sound, one of the more remarkable innovations to come along in years is active noise cancellation. Currently available in the Acura RL and the Honda Accord hybrid, active noise cancellation places cockpit noise-detecting microphones around the cabin, where they pick up engine or road noise. The system’s speakers then emit an opposite signal that cancels out those noises so the human ear can’t detect them, Kahn said.
Active noise cancellation is used in the Acura RL to enhance the vehicle’s quiet ride.

“In the Accord hybrid, certain functions of the hybrid system create a harmonic inside the car, so they use the system to cancel out that noise,” Kahn said. “The side benefit is a very quiet ride.”

I have noticed the "microphone" on the interior roof of the car near the rear view mirrors. I don't think replacing the speakers would affect this based on what I've read. I guess we will see....

Old 12-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure that the Ody's and Pilots with VCM also have ANC. Somewhere in the vehicle there is a unit that processes the input from the microphones and creates an anti-noise signal to cancel the offending noises out. I am not sure if this unit is part of the stock audio head unit or just uses it as an amplifier. However, I am almost positive that there are some ANC diagnostic functions that are accessible from the head unit which suggests to me that it also contains the ANC processor.

I can't imagine that replacing the stock speakers would cause any problems. It might even help.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I do not believe Metra kit will work for Hybrid. It does not have the right climate control buttons and *****. The few comments I have read about Metra kit on other forums have been negative. Apparently it is not high quality plastic and does not match rest of interior. To upgrade the sound quality, I would start with speakers first which is what you seem to doing. Speakers are usually the weakest link in factory stereos. People on other accord forums have reported fairly good results from simply replacing the speakers. One of these days when I can find a stereo with good bluetooth support, aux input and HD radio tuner (for a reasonable price), I would like to add it to my car but I would add it in the pocket below factory stereo and I would still use the factory stereo amp just because of ANC.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast

So what if am adding a 60rms amp and all new front and rear speaker? would that kill my ANC? the amp will go in the trunk so I would need to run new wires. not to mention the 10 inch sub am adding as well with a second amp. any ideas? anyone knows where to find a details instructions on taking the vechicle apart? such as dashboard, door panels, etc? thanks!