HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

When is a tank really "empty"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default When is a tank really "empty"?

The other day I filled up my tank for the eleventh time since I've owned my 2008 HCHII. The low fuel warning light had gone on at 2 bars, and, based on past experience, I didn't worry and drove probably about 35 miles around town. Then after my wife had taken a short drive, I noticed that zero bars were showing. I figured, well, this time the tank will need something close to 12 gallons. To my surprise, it took only 10.0 gallons, which means there were still 2.3 gallons left. I'm aware that the Honda folks probably designed the fuel gauge to err on the side of caution, so I could have driven, in this case another 100 miles at least. But, I was wondering if this is something that happens on all Civic Hybrids, no matter what year, or is this unique to the 2008 model? Also, how far have people driven with zero bars? (By the way, I didn't top off, but I never do, so that shouldn't make a difference.)

Old 09-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When is a tank really "empty"?

Yup, it's the same way for all of us. I've driven 80 miles on zero bars before. I always reset trip A when I fill up. I take the displayed MPG for the tank and multiply by 12 to calculate how many miles it is safe to drive. BTW, I actually put over 12.4 gallons in my tank once, so I know it holds at least that much.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:20 PM
ice
Active Enthusiast

I haven't experienced that yet. But it sounds very interesting! I'm going to check that on my car...

Old 09-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Of course, the only way to get max miles on a tank is to find out where the bottom is. I imagine that questions like these are often motivated by a desire to obtain max tank miles.

However it is not necessarily in your best interests to empty the fuel tank. Usually the electric fuel pump is in there, and it is cooled (in part) by being bathed in fuel. I have not heard of excessive fuel pump failures in hybrid vehicles, but drivers who go low are perhaps increasing their risks.

When your car gets old, it may accumulate some particles at the bottom of the fuel tank. There is also a potential risk of them clogging the intake filter on the fuel pump.

Neither of these stikes me as 'serious', but they are sufficient to keep me from looking for the bottom. Drive as ye will.

DAS

Old 09-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Im talking to various mechanics, there is almost no risk to the fuel pump anymore. Though they still are cooled by the fuel, the problems that used to happen have been resolved with modern pumps. I asked because we are in a fuel shortage here in the southeast and one guy on TV mentioned the fuel pumps. All of mechanics though have told me that he was wrong. Just me take on it.
to the OP though I wish I had a better way to tell whats left as well.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

We have gone 100 miles on Zero bars. Your mileage may vary. There is no chance of damaging the fuel pump by running it empty. If the car runs out of gas, then the fuel pump will turn off when the engine dies.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
We have gone 100 miles on Zero bars. Your mileage may vary. There is no chance of damaging the fuel pump by running it empty. If the car runs out of gas, then the fuel pump will turn off when the engine dies.
I don't think the main worry is the fuel pump running while dry. I believe the undecided issue is the fuel pump getting warm when a limited amount of gas is left to provide cooling. I have read comments on this issue on both sides. test54 just provided comments that the mechanics he has talked to ensure him there is no problem. Many others have chimed in on this and have stated damage will occur to the fuel pump if there is too little gas left in the tank to provide cooling. I like to try and improve my max distance on one tank of gas by running my tank nearly empty. I really don't know for sure if I am slowly "burning up" my fuel pump. I am still confused.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

When I purchased mine this year, I asked if the service department had seen any problems with the hybrids. The only thing they said is "don't let it run out of gas." So I won't let mine get that low. And when I hit 1 bar, I can put 11 gallons in mine. I figure pretty accurate fuel gauge.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by honduhlife
When I purchased mine this year, I asked if the service department had seen any problems with the hybrids. The only thing they said is "don't let it run out of gas." So I won't let mine get that low. And when I hit 1 bar, I can put 11 gallons in mine. I figure pretty accurate fuel gauge.
Did the mechanic say why you should not run out of gas?

Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Efficiency Nut

You CAN fit 13 gallons, plus some, in... heres how: Fill the tank really slow. Put the pump latch on the lowest setting. Some pumps just pump too fast for this to work, so you could do this manually. It will take 4 or 5 minutes to fill the tank slow. Then, by hand, slow as you can, continue to fill right up to the cap. You are filling the filler neck which is a big EPA no-no, but doesn't seem to hurt the car. At 52 mpg that is 676mi/tank, so going to 650 mi. on empty is not scary. I think I've put in 13.4g before, so it must have been nearly on fumes. Peter

Quick Reply: When is a tank really "empty"?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands