HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

What operating modes are possible

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default What operating modes are possible

We all know about the ICE mode aka normal mode. We know about EV and EV-Assist mode. We have Regen. We have Charge. We have Assist. We have Glide (EV but no assist). I have found another one recently and I don't know where it falls. Maybe someone with a ScanGauge II can help me.

When I am driving and look down to see just 1 bar of Charge (green) I just assume it is stealing this from my forward momentum and charging the IMA battery; however, if I gently apply throttle I can also accelerate. I don't know what mode this is.

I know the Prius has two electric motors and can not only run the car on battery only but can also charge the battery while our car it is one or the other. I don't know how to explain this mode though. If the car is accelerating from the ICE then what mode is it where it can also charge the battery? I know I see this with 1 green bar and can't remember if I've seen it with 2 green bars. This definitely works on mostly flat terrain but I can't remember if I descend a hill to the flat section or if it is after climbing a hill.

Have others experienced this before? Can others duplicate it for me? Is this going to be another combination mode like ICE+IMA Charging mode? I have not read that the car is capable of this but am pleased.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: What operating modes are possible

I've been living much of the past few weeks in this mode, especially on the freeway, which I think is a sort of combination between normal and forced regen. Seems to me the CVT is selecting a gear ratio that is just barely "less than ideal" for whatever speed we're going, and using the extra revs to trickle-charge the battery. At this gear ratio, it's not a massive hit on FE the way a normal forced regen is. Personally, when I see one green bar and my iMPG is still around 55, I don't really mind.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yup... this has been discussed before. I think I referred to it as a mild forced regen. I often see it at 4 - 6 SOC bars. Once you hit seven bars, it usually goes away. My MPG usually suffers a bit during this mode.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mild Forced Regen (MFR?). I haven't heard of this and missed the threads earlier which is why I asked (I searched but didn't know what term to search for) - so thanks for the definition. I certainly don't mind this and I hit the other mode today (when the Instantaneous meter drops to 0 mpg and does the "samba rhythm walkup" to where it was before and all the while I watched the FE and it rose from 49.8 to 50.4 then 50.6 mpg so even though the dispay was at 0 mpg it was definitely still in EV/near-EV mode for that mile. As you said, mmrm..., the FE might take a hit but not for much and it is around the 50-65 mpg range. Thanks for explaining and confirming. Still warm temps today so an over 50 mpg day so far though the cold is coming back again.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Check my post from 8/19 for my first mention of this condition...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...highlight=mild

Old 11-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast

Hi

Maybe someone can take the time to explain what all the modes are, and what all the abbreviations stand for. I am new to the world of hybrid driving and sometimes its hard to understand the lingo since there are so many abbreviations listed! maybe they should have hybrids for dummies!

Thanks

Old 11-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Enthusiast

^^Not sure how to see the entire glossary, but if you see any unknown terms you can search for them here
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/glossary.php?

Old 11-08-2006, 02:58 AM
F**k ExxonMobil

i get it all the time at fwy speeds. i think its mild forced regen cuz its usually accompanied by low # of soc bars.