HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Waiting for my 2008, saw a couple of reviews and have some ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Waiting for my 2008, saw a couple of reviews and have some ??

1) Trunk Space, what do you think about it? I've never seen a HCH in person.

2) Two reviews I watched complained about the engine stopping and restarting at stop lights causing a noticeable "jerk". What do you think?

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Waiting for my 2008, saw a couple of reviews and have some ??

Hi,

I have a 2006 HCHII and find that the trunk space is more than sufficient for my needs. Even when the wife and I went on a road trip... I don't have kids so the back seat can be used for storage as well.

As for the engine starting and stopping...not a big deal. It is a fairly quick transition and does not prevent you from taking off quickly at a light.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new car when you get it...!

Old 07-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

The trunk is about the same size as any small car. I do wish the seats folded down for larger items, but the trunk itself is fine. The engine jerking to life after an auto-stop is a non-issue. Don't worry about it for a second. You will love your HCH, they are great cars!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Great Mileage and Green

The trunk space is quite adequate. Consider the trunk liner honda sells for the HCH II, I found it a very nice addition. The stops and starts from auto stop become unnoticeable with time, and sure help with the fuel economy.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:12 AM
F**k ExxonMobil

1. trunk space adequate.
2. you will feel a lunge only if you accelerate off the line instead of taking your foot off the brake and letting the engine pull you off the line, and then accelerating gently.

Last edited by 06hch2; 07-21-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

1. Not an issue for us, family of 4 (2 kids and wife). We take weekend trips to the shore and have plenty of room.

2. This has not been an issue for me or my wife.

Good luck

Old 07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The truck space is small for a modern car, but it is still large enough for everything we've done with it (such as two people + gear for an extended camping trip). If you have access to see a gas Civic trunk, it's the same size, except the back wall is about 8" closer.

In terms of stopping, there is no shutter at all. When you take your foot off the brake pedal, the engine will start again without a shudder at all too. However, if you take your foot off the brake pedal and QUICKLY give it a moderate amount of gas, you can get the car (transmission) to shudder some. It is best to take your foot off the brake, wait a half a second and then add as much gas as you would like.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

I assume you took a good look at the regular Civic before deciding on the hybrid. As far as the trunk size goes it shouldn't be too much of an issue; its got good height and loading is easy. It is completely lined including the inside of the lid. The rear seat doesn't fold, but I'm sure you know that already.

The "auto-stop" feature takes a few days to adjust to. I found pausing a split-second after releasing the brake before hitting the gas, eliminated the shudder, just as Kristian mentioned.

Your new car has several neat features not found on the regular Civics. The automatic climate control is great. The interiors are more up-scale in my opinion. You will enjoy the great gas mileage. 50 mpg is easy. With the techniques discussed here you will no doubt do even better.

Enjoy your new car!!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A big stroller fits, a wheelchair does not.

Shudders are a non-issue.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Rookie Enthusiast

I bought my '08 HCH II in Dec;trunk space is not as large as in my old '86 Camry, but (as noted by others) adequate for most purposes. 6 bags of bark mulch, no problem! On a recent trip, I gained a few 'storage nooks; by removing the trunk liner covering the spare tire. Moderate luggage and gear for 2 people, NP-- (supersized suitcases may have to go in the back seat).

As noted, the occasional jerk when the engine restarts can usually be avoided (not counting other drivers!). At first it was mildly disconcerting but I soon got used it (and it is infrequent). Maybe it's my HCH driving improving, but it seems to be getting gradually less noticeable as I break it in.

Great car! Bet you love it! But the tips on this site (and the cleanmpg.com website) are invaluable for newbies like me, in terms of learning how to best use the hybrid technology. (Honda tells you next to nothing).

p

Quick Reply: Waiting for my 2008, saw a couple of reviews and have some ??

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands