HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Trunk adjustment suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:52 AM
AJR
Active Enthusiast
Default Trunk adjustment suggestions?

Hi everyone... I need to see if there is a way to adjust the trunk so that when I pop the trunk, it actually rises up all the way. I'm always carrying something (usually with both hands) when I pop the trunk with the remote. Of course, I have to manipluate whats in my hands to try not to drop it while pushing the trunk up with my elbow.

Any suggestions? I don't want it to fly up uncontrollably and bust itself or the window!

Thanks...

Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trunk adjustment suggestions?

Angelo... interesting question. I seem to recall when opening the trunk right after I got it that it opened fully. Now it just pops open an inch or so. Can't really remember for sure! It would be handy to have it open all the way.

Most automotive trunk hardware includes a torsion spring or two to offset the weight of the body panel (making it easier to lift). I don't know how the HCHII system works... but I suspect it's the same. If so, I don't believe these are adjustable. The only alternative would be to install a stronger torsion spring.

Replacement (stronger) torsion springs used to be common years ago when folks mounted luggage / deck lid racks on the trunk. These were used to offset the extra weight of the rack. I don't know if they're still commonplace... might be with all the wings and such folks install these days.

You'd probably have to do some internet searching on this! Good luck.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:57 AM

There is a way to add tenssion to the springs. Next time you have the car in for service asked them to adjust it for you.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Harold
There is a way to add tenssion to the springs. Next time you have the car in for service asked them to adjust it for you.
I think Harold is right. Most Hondas have alternate position slots for seating the torsion rods. These torsion rods are typically handled by a tool that can be used to reposition the rods into the alternate notch, or simply for removal. I'll have a look as soon as I get home and try the tweak on mine just for giggles.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-11-2007, 01:24 PM

Okay... I had a little time at lunch, so I did some checking. I took three photos. One showing the left side, one showing the center and one showing the right side. I do see a raised area where the bar could be repositioned to on each side, but the difference is so slight that I doubt it would make much of a difference. I can give it a try tonight to see if it does something.

I did notice that the bars have color codes (white and green). I seem to recall that the color codes used to denote bar strength. At least that's the way it worked years ago (I used to handle accessory development for an automotive company).

Anyway, here are the photos. I put a yellow arrow next to the detent area where we could possibly increase tension... but again, a couple of millimeters of extra twist isn't likely to result in a big change here. First shot is of the right side... next is center... last is left. Enjoy!

Old 06-11-2007, 02:19 PM

2 words -- helium balloons...

Old 06-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Moving it to the other indent probably won't do anything, but what will is putting more pre-load on the torsion bar.

You do that by twisting the ends of the bars down some and then putting a spacer under them so they keep that additional pre-load on them.

You can experiment with twisting them to see how much additional pre-load is necessary for them to gently open the trunk lid completely.

You will probably only need to do it on one side.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:03 PM

So, did anyone try the second detent for the torsion rods... or adding a spacer like Gary suggested? I ran out of daylight yesterday... and I have my zero emissions vehicle with me today (rode my bike to work!!!), so I can't check until tomorrow.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:03 AM
iSteve

Its probable that the second Position is for the Sport model with the larger(heavier) spoiler.

there is a lot of pressure on the torsion springs be carefull!!!

Old 06-14-2007, 12:41 PM

Angelo,

I took the plunge at lunch today... I bumped the springs up to the alternate detent position. Pretty easy to do. The result? Well, not exactly success. It does open more... perhaps an inch or two higher, but it certainly doesn't fully open on its own. Furthermore, the hand pressure needed to lift the trunk the rest of the way tells me we'd need some really strong springs in there to handle the job. I just don't think it's possible with the present springs.

Quick Reply: Trunk adjustment suggestions?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands