HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Throttle Adjustment Possible ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 12:33 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Question Throttle Adjustment Possible ??

Gotta Question. Is it possible to adjust the throttle (standing, warmed up RPM) on an HCH II? I am not a techno - savvy auto engine guy. I've noticed that my HCH II never idles below about 1,050 rpm. Now back a few years (few decades) the average rpm adjustment on a Ford or Chevvy was to about 750 rpm. You could use a screwdriver to adjust the throttle linkage. My HCH appears to idle fine - maybe a bit fast. So, I was wondering if making a slight adjustment would improve the FE over a tank. I would not want to do this if it would mess anything up - or void my warrenty. Any thoughts from you owners who breathe the engine lore??
Thanks,

Old 07-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Throttle Adjustment Possible ??

What's the hottest ambient temperatures you've driven the car at? Have you noticed that it idles faster when it is colder? I notice that on mine, the idle is completely dependent on engine temperature. From cold starts, the engine on mine idles about 1500rpm for the first minute, then drops to around 1000 for several minutes. When it gets completely warmed up though, it idles at about 750-800 (more with A/C on). I imagine there are many variables at play determining this idle speed/mixture. Also, indicated fuel consumption at idle can vary as much as 4 to 1 (determined by instant mileage gauge at slow speeds), suggesting that the fuel mixture as well as the RPM can vary. When completely warm though, the engine consumes very little according to the display -- about 0.1 gallons/hour.

Last edited by Double-Trinity; 07-14-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Throttle Adjustment Possible ??

By reviewing the diagrams on the 2006 Civic Hybrid Service manual it appears that adjustments are done automaticaly via the Electronic Throttle Control System. There are basically four main components to this system:

-The ET control relay (engine bay)
-The throttle actuator and throttle position sensor (engine bay)
-The powertrain control module (engine bay)
-The accelerator pedal module and pedal position sensor (cabin-"gas pedal")

There appears to no easy way of manually adjusting the throttle spectrum as you did in older vehicles. Instead, you will need appropriate software and additional gear to enable such changes.

I would further say, that adjusting it would not represent an ideal configuration. I am sure that Honda has masterfully configured the throttle spectrum to the most optimal configuration already.

The details can be found on module 11 page 243.

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 07-14-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:21 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Unhappy Re: Throttle Adjustment Possible ??

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
What's the hottest ambient temperatures you've driven the car at?
Double-Trinity,
Around 85 deg. F is about the hottest. I can remember during the cold winters the engine reved higher. I did not pay real close attention to the rpm. I will guess there is no easy way to tweak it. I have never seen mine below 1,000 rpm. Thanks for the answer. Another member answered that it is all electronic controlled.
Regards,