HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Is the tank in a HCHII 12.3 gallons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Is the tank in a HCHII 12.3 gallons?

Is it possible to pump 13.03 gallons into it?

I am confused as this would make my mileage about 43mpg for this tank, yet ~70% of my trips had a mpg reading of over 50. 25% were over 54mpg. The mpg display showed 49.5mpg for the tank.

Are the specs for the gas tank wrong?

Is is possible that the mpg readings would be that far off?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
USAF Retired
Default Re: Is the tank in a HCHII 12.3 gallons?

My manual says 13.2 gallons--same as regular Civic.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

The tank is 12.3 gallons. You can physically pump more into it because the filler neck holds an additional quantity.

Another possibility is that the gas pumps are rigged to display a higher volume of gasoline than is actually pumped. But I believe that's rare.

A lot of hybrid owners concern themselves with small variances in tank-to-tank mpg readouts. The only readout that matters is a cumulative one.

I left "trip B" untouched since I bought my HCH last year. After 23,000 miles, it reads just over 47 mpg. That's the figure I cite whenever someone asks me about miles per gallon.

The trip meter recycles every 10,000 miles, so it may not be completely accurate. But it's as close as anyone needs. Try it.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

With gas prices spiking, there was just recently a big bust in the Detroit area of gas stations that were using cheater chips in their pumps (pumping less than the reading, to charge you more). For anyone that may live in the area, here's a link to the story and a file you can download with all the stations listed.

http://www.wxyz.com/content/news/inv...7-6b148608c484

Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast

* Per: My manuals says 12.3 gallons (46.6l) on page 268 under the specifications section.

* 1stpik: Yes, I do probably overly concern myself with tank to tank readings....if I didn't care, I would still drive my 7 series every day. One thing to consider with this particular thing, is that I should have had a 1-1.5 gallons in the tank (manual calc/estimation) when I pulled into the station. I find it pretty hard to believe that the filler neck can hold 2 gallons, but maybe it can?

I log every trip, no matter how short, and then do manual calcs at every refill. It has become a bit of a game and gives me a way to channel some of my obsessive tendencies.

* Rob W: I wondered about something like that. The attendants totally freaked out when I brought it up with them. I called the county measurement folks and spoke with an inspector that is headed out there now.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lawndart
* Per: My manuals says 12.3 gallons (46.6l) on page 268 under the specifications section.

* 1stpik: Yes, I do probably overly concern myself with tank to tank readings....if I didn't care, I would still drive my 7 series every day. One thing to consider with this particular thing, is that I should have had a 1-1.5 gallons in the tank (manual calc/estimation) when I pulled into the station. I find it pretty hard to believe that the filler neck can hold 2 gallons, but maybe it can?

I log every trip, no matter how short, and then do manual calcs at every refill. It has become a bit of a game and gives me a way to channel some of my obsessive tendencies.

* Rob W: I wondered about something like that. The attendants totally freaked out when I brought it up with them. I called the county measurement folks and spoke with an inspector that is headed out there now.
Try tracking your mileage over say 5 tanks. Do manual calc and look at the trip. They should be close together at that point.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:03 PM
USAF Retired

[quote=lawndart;170779]* Per: My manuals says 12.3 gallons (46.6l) on page 268 under the specifications section.
quote]

Strange! I would have to check my manual tomorrow, but I'm sure it gives tank capacity as 13.2 gallons. I have a 2007 manual here, and on page 242, it also gives the tank capacity as 13.2 gallons in the capacity section. Are there differences in versions?

Old 05-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I thought it was 12.someting too, I looked up the manual & it does say 13.2 with a .108 reserve. here is the link but I am not sure it will work unless you are signed as me ....but it might.
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...707O00240A.pdf

EDIT: ok. I just tried it, it does go to that section of the manual, you will need to scroll down to page 242.

Last edited by Bobs Metallic Pearl; 05-03-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: add info
Old 05-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

You could create an account at the Honda Qwner's link with your vin # and it should show you all the specifics about your vehicle under the My Civic Hybrid link. I like the site for other things as well, including tracking your service & maintenance.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast

My manual says 12.3 as does the website for Honda. However, even when my car meter says empty, I still have not been able to pump more than 11 gallons into it without having to pump a little, wait a few seconds and repeat over and over again.

Quick Reply: Is the tank in a HCHII 12.3 gallons?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands